PDA

View Full Version : Caning Versus Paddling

BearMan
15-12-2004, 19:17
Here's one for all you recipients of the feared cane or paddle.
In the UK the cane is the ultimate corporal punishment deterent whilst in the USA it's the paddle. So which one is the worse?
Have many of you tasted both to know which you fear the most?

Mogul
15-12-2004, 19:35
I've always found this fear of one implement over all others rather odd.

It's absurd to say that, in a general sense, one instrument is 'worse' than another.

Various factore count;

How hard they are used is obviously one of the main ones.

What their weight to drag ratio is is another

And their flexibility is a third

Their stiffness is a fouth

Their 3d profile at the impact point is a fifth.

All these (plus, no doubt, some I haven't thought of), go to make up an implement's 'signature' feel.

No one general type is worse than any other.

Mogul

Andrew61
15-12-2004, 19:47
Good bit of science there - how can you compare when all other factors so variable.

There is of course the variation in traditions - when Britain still ran North America the birch was the rule both sides of the pond and then after '76 Britain found the cane in the Far East and made it run and run whereas the US somehow chose the paddle - maybe cos not a lot of birch trees in the south and mid West (?).

I was whacked in an English school with a piece of flat wood - because I was fooling in a woodwork class, but only caned later - so no real comparison.

I know some switch ladies who will cane and be caned for hours but who run a mile at the thought of flat hard wood.

Hope this adds to the debate - but I know it will resolve nothing

Andrew

Natasha Louise
15-12-2004, 19:51
I agree entirly with mogul its not the implement its how its used! however I do find even VERY heavy whacks with a leather paddle relativly easy and pleasurable to take.
I find a wooden paddle especially with holes in by FAR the worst and it seems pretty impossible to use such an implement lightly.
Regarding the cane, actually I find most even Mr Choppers dragon canes not TOO bad even when applied vigourously.
But a friend of mine and member here, Mark of the Cane owns the WORST cane I have ever felt. Its sooo inflexible I HATE IT.
so for me it would be a toss up between THAT particular cane and a wooden paddle.
yuk.
NL

Whackshund
15-12-2004, 20:42
I am more afraid of the wooden paddle with holes in than the cane.
I am glad that my wife does not subscribe to this site, so that she is unaware of my view.
Whackshund

iceman
15-12-2004, 20:48
In the UK the cane is the ultimate corporal punishment deterent whilst in the USA it's the paddle. So which one is the worse?

As well as the feel, the sound of the two devices is entirely different. The thwack when the paddle strikes home is scary, as is the swish of the cane. The scariest sound has to be one of those long thin riding crops, a dressage whip....

lilmisssonaughty
15-12-2004, 20:56
ok maybe i am being a little pedantic here.......surely we should never actually FEAR an implement. Yes there will be some we like more than others but to fear something is to put your self in a degree of distress, and it is not the implememt that is to be thought about but the person weilding it......and one should never fear that person.........oh and i like both the paddle and the cane.....i fear neither , both are very different.....lmn

roddy9uk
15-12-2004, 21:14
ok maybe i am being a little pedantic here.......surely we should never actually FEAR an implement.

Certainly for many years I "feared" the tawse..due to previous history..but in general I agree with you LMN. It is the person behind the implement, whatever it is, that can cause the fear.

That said..I would rank a paddle as less potentially dangerous than a cane..but then i have only been paddled by those who a) knew what they were doing and b) paid attention as much to my needs as their own. With the right Top ANY implement can be fun and with the wrong one virtually any implement can be misused. However I should also add (from purely my own viewpoint) that I have only met two Tops who can use a cane in the "right" way for me. So therefore I could be said to now "fear" the cane (except from the two Tops)

roddy

BearMan
15-12-2004, 23:56
Thank you for your responses. I said "feared" the implement and not the people wielding them lilmisssonaughty because people do tend to "fear" them as young rodney has said above. I agree it should be the admistrator being the one to fear but sometimes we may trust the person more than the implements they are actually using.

catapultss
16-12-2004, 00:06
I live and grew up in the states. I was paddled many times growing up, at home and school. It is still very common over here. At home, the belt is most common, though a switch is used in the south a lot. A paddle is also used at home, depending on the parent. There are obviously a lot of variables involved. Being a lover of pain, I don't fear either.

My guess as to the U.S. choice of the paddle is likely durablilty. They last forever. At a large school, a principal may have to warm up a dozen or more kids a day. Switches just wouldn't hold up. They'd need to have a grove of trees and someone to cut them. Canes have never been widely available, over here.

There is obviously a good deal of variablity depending on the intesity of the spanking. The weight of the instriments. etc. Paddles used beyond the 6 th grade are generally heavy paddles. Light paddles do exist.

With that said. Given a normal school punishment. I'd say the paddle hurts a good deal more. First it covers a much larger area, firing up a good deal more nerve endings. Secondly, each swat cover the same area over and over and over, getting all nerves in the area excited. Third, the paddle penitrates and gets deep nerves. Fourth a hard paddleing can leave you with a soar butt muscle for days.

In my experience the cane causes a sharper, surface pain. It should be obvious both provide sufficient motivation to change the behavor of any teenager!

However, if excessive punishment is given, I'm not sure. It is very easy to cut the skin with a cane, leaving a sliced up backside. At the same time, I had some blood drops on the paddle after a recient session. So I don't know....

I tend to prefer the paddle. I think it hurts more and more importantly for me, the marks don't last as long. I'm usually mark free after 1 to 2 weeks with a paddle. My last experience with the cane left me marked for 5 weeks. I thought those lines would never dissapear. I guess it would be OK, if you had a steady girlfriend. But try to explain to a one night stand what those marks are.....

P.S. be sure to try a lexan paddle if you haven't. Safer, because if has a slight fiex. It might burn a bit more, but I change my mind frequently, according to my most recient item spanked by. Also great fun for the spanker, as they get to see the complete reaction of the butt.

Prefect
16-12-2004, 00:35
I don’t fear either. But I do prefer the Cane.

1) It's more traditional for English Schools.

2) Both can leave bruises, but the Paddle leaves big blotchy bruises not small ones.

Only the occasional Paddling for me. :)

whiterose
16-12-2004, 00:53
not really got a fear of eether of 'em as I enjoy 'em both <<weg>>,though having said that sometimes after a paddling ,I fear the cane as the sting is so intense..................but rather nice :p :D :D :D probably contradicted myself there but oh what the heck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twonk
16-12-2004, 01:12
My last experience with the cane left me marked for 5 weeks. I thought those lines would never dissapear. I guess it would be OK, if you had a steady girlfriend. But try to explain to a one night stand what those marks are.....
Personally, I've found on more than occasion* that letting even a 'nilla woman know marks are there has actually LED to a one-nighter :4bounce

(*well, twice actually, but that doesn't sound so good:cool: )

twonk
16-12-2004, 01:26
I don’t fear either. But I do prefer the Cane.

1) It's more traditional for English Schools.

I agree with Prefect here*, paddle is something I can't really fit into my little mind-set I need to be in to get anything out of a punishment, purely due to it's unfamiliarity.

Suppose it may become different if I ever actually visited America.

Or, better still, some American lady decided to demonstrate it used properly on me?
Any offers? :kissass (don't all rush at once, now :haha )

* Hmm, been doing that a lot lately. Will have to start another argument on middle-east politics before people start talking... :gossip

jennyfrill
16-12-2004, 04:41

I have experienced both, also the riding crop. I am a crossdresser and have had both male and female 'correcters'. Much of the effect depends on the mood
of the chastiser, I think.

jolie
16-12-2004, 07:46
A tricky question because there are many types of canes and paddles.

The answer, generally, would have to be that I wouls never choose a paddle.

I agree with catapultss that a paddle can leave deep muslce "bruising".

I remember that after getting a paddling (followed by a caning - which to me seemed the wrong way round) I could not cool my bum down for quite a while.

Never thought I would actually PREFER a cane to something else but there you go!

malaika
16-12-2004, 08:03
I have never felt a wooden paddle, and have no intention of doing so either! Thank goodness my Dom does not like them either! I do enjoy his leather paddle and his canes and whatever else he chooses (he knows me so well!). Like lilmissonaughty states I think a lot of it is in the way they are used and the trust in the person giving. With the wrong person anything can be horrible and scarey!

sonia

Rosyredbum
16-12-2004, 08:38
i normally lurk, but, saw this thread and couldn't help posting.
This picture was taken by my hubby about a year ago.
It's a bit cryptic, but was he trying to tell me something?
RosyXXX

Tim Green
16-12-2004, 09:38
I will simplify matters by assuming the question is "which do I consider hurts the most?". As others have said, there are lots of factors to take into account, including the size of each implement. Also, any clothing worn for the punishment - in my experience the paddle remains very effective even through quite thick clothing, which would diminish the effects of the cane significantly.

I bruise easily and most implements leave me with marks for days, if not weeks but, strangely, a heavy solid wooden paddle doesn't. I'm sore and aching for days but it is as if the damage is so far below the surface of my bottom to be invisible. To come back to the question, a heavy cane on the bare bottom hurts more, in my experience, both at the time and afterwards.

I don't include wooden paddles with holes in them in this comparison - I've never experienced one and having seen the effects of one, I don't want to!

Tim

Spankmaster55
16-12-2004, 09:54
I suppose the nearest thing to a realistic comparison to answer the original quaestion, would be to look at judicial punishment. I believe fearsome paddles were used in North American prisons not so long ago, and the cane is still used in the far east. Does anyone know of any individual who has experienced both?
There are sites on the net that that publish details of such punishments.

As far as adult spanking fun is concerned, I think it's far too personal a subject and impossible to generalise.

SM :)

lilmisssonaughty
16-12-2004, 12:08
SP55 you make a very valid point, on reflection my opinion is just that MINE! written from my experience, and that is one of fun and enjoyment...i do not want to be beaten, and as such have never feared an implement nor the person using it.......Yes of course there are some that hurt more than others, but fear NO......Now taking that into a real punishment scenario where the sole purpose is to hurt and cause distress, well i am in no way qualified to write about such matters as it is somewhere i have never been nor would wish to go...LMN

Andrew61
16-12-2004, 19:06
Maybe he wanted a mandolin for Christmas ?

Andrew 61

catapultss
16-12-2004, 22:06
I suppose the nearest thing to a realistic comparison to answer the original quaestion, would be to look at judicial punishment. I believe fearsome paddles were used in North American prisons not so long ago, and the cane is still used in the far east. Does anyone know of any individual who has experienced both?
There are sites on the net that that publish details of such punishments.

As far as adult spanking fun is concerned, I think it's far too personal a subject and impossible to generalise.

SM :)

I've never found much. There is a book about canadian prisions that said the cat was given for more serious, the strap for lesser. The guy in the book stated the strap was in fact far worse. Sorry, I can't find the scans I had. The below link sort of says that, but with zero elaboration...

http://www.corpun.com/canada.htm

As for paddle vs cane in judicial use, I've never seen anything.

beckyboo
16-12-2004, 22:36
I have felt both, my view for what it is worth is:

I think i give more a response from the wooden paddle than the cane.
I yelp a little more when the wooden paddle is applied, than I do when the cane is.

My bottom doesnt like the wooden paddle either it seems to break open from it. But never has done from the cane.

The leather paddle has no affect really, yes it comes keen but i wouldnt say it is as an affect on me like the wooden one.

The one I prefer more is the cane, even though it hurts like hell, I seem to be able to handle it better. Whether that is my mind set I dont know.

naughtinicki
16-12-2004, 23:20

Can I please ask Bear man.... do you mean the CB paddle (or Cracker Barrel paddle for all those not used to American's)?

If so then yes I fear that more than the cane! And do not like the friend in the US who sent HIM WHO MUST BE OBEYED one!

And now that my American compatroit has also felt the cane. Silly billy, told her she should have kept quiet, far too inquisitive for her own good. :rofl

I would have to agree with her and say......... CB paddles are NOT NICE!

twonk
17-12-2004, 07:16
i normally lurk, but, saw this thread and couldn't help posting.
This picture was taken by my hubby about a year ago.
It's a bit cryptic, but was he trying to tell me something?
RosyXXX
Dunno about 'firewood', that paddle is surely marble?

You are SEVERE Domme!!! ;) :rofl

BTW, 'Nicki refers to a 'cracker paddle'.
Strange name, anyone know why it's called that?
Any connection to 'cracker barrel', perhaps? (Which is an oddly-named cheese.)

Heh, trivia like that fascinates me.

BearMan
17-12-2004, 08:09
Sorry Nicki, I was generalising. But that has made me think maybe we need to discuss now what sort of paddle is the worse?!!

schoolboy_rog
17-12-2004, 08:45
BTW, 'Nicki refers to a 'cracker paddle'.
Strange name, anyone know why it's called that?
Any connection to 'cracker barrel', perhaps? (Which is an oddly-named cheese.)

Heh, trivia like that fascinates me.
Well twonk,
here's what I posted on this very implement

In the USA there is a retail outlet called Cracker Barrel who for $4.99 will sell you their Paddleball game.

- It's really nothing but a short, well-shaped piece of 3/8" hardwood (Birch) plywood, lightly sanded at the edges.

The paddle supplied, when the ball has been removed, appears to have become a firm favourite with Tops throughout the land – a kind of insider tip amongst US spankers. Here are two first hand accounts of its effectiveness.

"… and the really awful thing about that paddle.... is, unlike heavier paddles, it takes a VERY VERY VERY VERY long time and a VERY VERY VERY hard spanking to make a poor brat's bottom go numb. But you don't need to spank hard to really set a butt on fire with it... It has a Very high sting & burn to effort ratio (as my husbby is fond of saying)."

Struth ladies….!!! …. And it gets better……

"She still hates it as the sting is super intense and strangely enough has been known to last a solid hour after only a few dozen hard cracks. If we tried that with the bigger and heavier racquet ball paddle she would be bruised for days."
Ouch!

Now that sounds like fun to me – amazing sting with little or no damage but real lasting power….. mmmmmmmmmm!

So now you know - start ordering - me sis Shan has and I'm promised a rate gud roastin with it once it arrives... ouch!
I've attached a photo of this innocuous looking item!

kind regards
schoolboy_rog

twonk
17-12-2004, 09:51
You can get them from 'traditional' toymakers.

Early Learning Centres are in many towns, they have them.

Rosyredbum
17-12-2004, 11:51
Twonk wrote
Dunno about 'firewood', that paddle is surely marble?

You are SEVERE Domme!!!
.................................................. ......................................
From the noise generated you'd certainly think it was made of marble or worse.
But No!
It's only a thin piece of simple polished plywood.
I like it because it looks pretty and is both easy to hold and use.
Effective with not much effort on my part.
Which means he doesn't like it, but then again spankos are such a finicky lot...
Me a "SEVERE Domme"???
Got the touch of a butterfly have I.
Most times.
LOL
RosyXXX

schoolboy_rog
17-12-2004, 12:45
You can get them from 'traditional' toymakers.

Early Learning Centres are in many towns, they have them.

They have the Cracker Barrel paddleball??!!

I have experienced a few paddleball paddles in my time but none that was quite as devestating as this one would appear to be and without leaving any real "damage!" It is this particular paddle - perhaps a combination of the weight/shape/wood - that seems to be causing a stir in the states. The US with it's tradition of paddling wouldn't get excited over a "simple" paddleball paddle unless it was something out of the ordinary I suspect.
The only way to find out is to try it!

kind regards
schoolboy_rog

roddy9uk
17-12-2004, 12:53
I must look out for this CB paddle. Currently the most devastating "weapon" in my US friends armoury is a thing we call "the fish". Actually a pasta-strainer but in all respects much like the descriptions I have read of the original spencer paddle. And it doesn't numb either..too light for that I think..it just bloody hurts!

roddy

whiterose
17-12-2004, 13:02
CB Paddles are

EVIL EVIL EVIL !!!!!!!!!!

Would someone tell me where my brain went the day I bought the implement of Satan :shake :shake

For the first time,I've felt what this THING feels like,and the evilman who designed it should be sent to HELL and sentenced to years of this evil thing falling on HIS backside!!!!!!!!

naughtinicki
17-12-2004, 13:12
Am sorry to disagree with you schoolboy Rog......... but the CB paddle...

%$$^&()(*&& HURTS!

It does not take a very..... (and it doesn't matter how many time you say it!)................. long time to achieve a VERY sore arse!!!!

It's repututaion is well deserved!

And anyone coming anywhere near me with one............. will just see me leaving by the nearest door!

schoolboy_rog
17-12-2004, 13:15
nicki sweetheart ! ! !
What exactly is it that I've said that you disagree with?!!!

I KNOW what it's effect is alleged to be...... I've just not experienced it yet and was telling twonk that I think this particular paddleball paddle is a bit special for we spankos....
.... I don't care if it hurts - that's the idea aint it???!!! I like the idea of it causing the howling wolf syndrom without doing any real visible damage. Perfect - isn't it??!!

rog

Robert_l
30-12-2004, 01:48
I have experienced both , the cane is a wourse punishment however the paddle is very efective and the whole bottom hurts unlike the cane where only the stripes are painfull ( espeisily when my kilt pleats come into contact with them )however having had 24 strokes of a wooden paddle it was very painfull siting down as my whole bottom was sore

Hugh Jarse
30-12-2004, 09:08

I got caned on a few occasions, but one experience sticks out. The Latin teacher who wielded the "weapon" had somehow broken it in such away that he was left with a blade like splinter of the original cane. Two strokes later he had reduced me to tears. I have never ever felt searing pain like it. It was only later that I realised he had actually cut my bottom. But I stupidly didn't take the matter any further. The instrument mostly used in my school was the gym slipper, but one teacher used an American style paddle, but fortunately rarely used it.

Sebakwe
30-12-2004, 10:35
The history of the cane is both long and feared in every field from the schoolroom to judicial punishment. While the paddle seems to be a smack on the wrist type punishment for naughty American school children, the cane, in good hands, must by far be the more painful impliment.

A retired Rhodesian policeman who used to carry out judicial punishment of told me how he maximised the effect of the cane.

Firstly the cane was soaked overnight in salt water. A ratten cane will absorb its own weight of water, this effectivly doubles the weight of the cane.

Once the canee is stripped, bent over and strapped down, show him what he is in for by caning, a suitably filled kit bag in front of him, as hard as you can. Then make eye contact while bending and caressing the cane.

The canee is reduced to jelly before the punishment begins. He also believed that to maximise punishment one must go in as hard as possible with the first stroke to inflict the maximum pain before the body's endorphins kicked in. He would also leave a good thirty seconds between strokes. "The cane does its work between the strokes", he used to say.

I cane boys in a manner that they will remember even when they are old men this is the best way to turn them from crime,was another of his sayings.

One of the youths he caned was a good friend of mine

On this basis I do not think there could be any doubt which is more effective between the cane or the paddle.

This of course leaves the birch and the bastinado out of the equation.

Newboy

ScotFanatic
01-03-2005, 21:30
I think it depends on which one you are used to. I am used to being spanked with a paddle (as an adult), so I know what to expect - I know the range and types of pain a paddle can cause. I am not used to the sensation of a cane, so it causes a lot more anxiety in me. Also, people in the states are not generally that experienced with a cane, so THAT can be scary. Mostly people seem to use it more like a switch - it stings badly and leaves little stripes that way. That said, I much prefer a belt to either.