Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 1,081 to 1,112 of 1112
    Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    A splendid word, but of limited versatility: does "Play Caliginous for me" work?
    William

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    I did smile at that, William.

It does not work very well but versatility is only part of an overall flexibility and accommodation with language.
    Alice

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    We endeavour to please, ma,am.

In Downing Street, flexibility appears to be conflated - mendaciously - with the ability to wriggle.
    William

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    Many daily papers print mendaciously written articles to ingratiate their owners with governments.
    Alice

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    One wonders whether the Maybot's changes, to be announced today, will ingratiate her with the voting public.
    William

Time Online
    19 d 12 h 30 m
    I don't think the British public care a fig - come to think of it, I am not sure, having triggered the greatest upheaval in a generation, whether they are any longer interested in how Brexit plays out.

Fiona

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    You're right; and now the dreadful Maybot is now casting about her for a fig-leaf to conceal her political modesty.

[Not for the first time in recent months, I somewhat regretted the absence of a thread called something like Vituperative sentence in an enraged paragraph.]
    William

Time Online
    19 d 12 h 30 m
    The thought of our so-called Prime Minister casting off her remaining garments and standing naked is just too horrible to contemplate.

Fiona

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    Horrible would be one way to characterise the dilemma: do I want a blindfold or a fire hose?
    William

Time Online
    19 d 12 h 30 m
    I believe the best solution to the dilemma would be to acquire one of those useful objects known in the trade as sick bags.

Fiona

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    Silly old me: I always thought of 'sick bags' as a loosely defined group of Tories - like 'sad sacks'.
    William

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    I though a group of Tories could be loosely described, variously as; heartless, self-serving or perhaps just misguided.
    Alice

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    All three: heartless. self-serving, and - in several senses - misguided.
    William

Time Online
    19 d 12 h 30 m
    We should distinguish between various types of Conservative: several members of said party, notably Remainers, are quite decent people with a social conscience and I would acquit them of all charges except being misguided; others, primarily Brexiteers, deserve all our opprobium, especially late converts to that heinous policy.

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    Fiona - I am making the bold assumption that your 'opprobium' was missing an 'r'.

The opprobrium of being though to have an analogous mindset with the current UK government is a major reason so many young people will not join it.
    Alice

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    @Alice: if I may be bold, your 'though' is missing a 't'.

Quite right: there are more-or-less analogous reasons why a certain kind of right-wing American now flies under the 'Independent' flag.
    William

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    William - Yes, I really should check things a little better, I sometimes rely on my spell checker a little too much and it sometimes fails to distinguish between appropriate words.

Some of those who shelter under the label of 'Independent' seem more interested in blanket oppugnancy rather than any guiding principles.
    Alice

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    @Alice: Indeed. Spell checkers are like that. Often - as in your own case above - they fail to work out what is or is not an appropriate word; they are pants at grammar and syntax.

You're right: in the States - as here - the lunatic right seems to regard oppugnancy as a positive stance.
    William

Time Online
    37 d 4 h 44 m
    The Lunatics have taken over the Asylum, is a favourite song in Prison.

M4

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryIX View Post

You're right: in the States - as here - the lunatic right seems to regard oppugnancy as a positive stance.
    I will not recognise any post made by the preceding poster for reasons that are well known, So following the last legitimate post;

Many of the vilest dictators in history have used the title of lunatic to silence those who have dared to oppose them.
    Alice

Time Online
    37 d 4 h 44 m
    Aside ...........

Well Alice ...... perhaps we should ask the thread starter .... kristabelle ... what she thinks about refusing to follow a perfectly legitimate post...

It's YOU that's in the wrong here ... don't ya think ???

M4

Time Online
    161 d 15 h 3 m
    Responding to #1100:

Dictators are ten-a-penny, and in many ways interchangeable; lunatics tend to be sui generis.

[Alice, I'm glad you're continuing to ignore our little local lunatic.

His latest outpouring of seed may have fallen on stony ground, The splendid kristabelle hasn't been on line for almost three years. Do I remember that she was driven away by some jackass or other?

Be that as it may, it's clear that if (under another name) she were inclined to visit her excellent thread, she'd find overwhelming evidence to disregard the mewlings of the creature currently labelled M4male, which is now festering in a grave of its own creation.]

William

Time Online
    173 d 2 h 8 m
    To be honest, Henry and Alice I think this has all become rather self-defeating and also contradictory. I think the post from M4 that sparked this response of ignoring him was without question rude and was part of a pattern of abrupt posts but that is in my opinion being far exceeded by the personal name-calling that has been directed at him since. Isn’t it better to rise above these things rather than follow suit or do worse?

I don’t play the game so maybe I am talking out of turn and it’s up to you regulars. But I don’t think it looks good.

The games can also appeal to people who want to avoid arguing on the site and to just have a bit of light fun. So if people see arguments going on they might well avoid this game. It only seems to have three regulars anyway so this might not be in the game’s best interest. In any case newbies to the game might find it hard to work out which posts to respond to or ignore once this has been buried a few pages back.

I intend no offence to anyone in making this post but I have felt for a while that this was all rather pointless.
    Last edited by Callipygian; 14-01-2018 at 17:30.

OTK is the warmest embrace Bottoms make the world go 'round.' All because the lady loves OTK

Time Online
    37 d 4 h 44 m
    Thank you Callipygian ........... an excellent post from you ...as always...

Ok ... perhaps my original post about cork wine bottle caps ........... was a bit rude ...

OK .. I'm sorry - I apologise.......... wasn't meant to be rude -- I was more puzzled than anything else about the use of old wine corks .....DUH ??

Can we just all calm down a bit now, - and carry on playing these excellent and entertaining games...????

TRUCE ........ please

M4

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Callipygian View Post
    To be honest, Henry and Alice I think this has all become rather self-defeating and also contradictory. I think the post from M4 that sparked this response of ignoring him was without question rude and was part of a pattern of abrupt posts but that is in my opinion being far exceeded by the personal name-calling that has been directed at him since. Isn’t it better to rise above these things rather than follow suit or do worse?

I don’t play the game so maybe I am talking out of turn and it’s up to you regulars. But I don’t think it looks good.

The games can also appeal to people who want to avoid arguing on the site and to just have a bit of light fun. So if people see arguments going on they might well avoid this game. It only seems to have three regulars anyway so this might not be in the game’s best interest. In any case newbies to the game might find it hard to work out which posts to respond to or ignore once this has been buried a few pages back.

I intend no offence to anyone in making this post but I have felt for a while that this was all rather pointless.
    I appreciate what you are saying and in most circumstances I would let it go. However, this has been a repeated pattern from M4male and having read back over the thread, it is clear that he has done this before to another female poster and you posted along similar lines on that occasion. That woman gave up and left, M4male achieved his goal. I am not going to be driven of the games by him although he has made every effort to try and make me, and others, give up and leave. He is the one who causes these problems with his disregard for the rules and conventions of the threads and his appalling rudeness. I am not going to change my mind on this. I will ignore his posts and follow the poster before him, if William does so too I will appreciate the support, if he chooses to let it go, I will respect that too. What other players decide to do is fine with me. My position is unchanged, but it was M4male who created the situation, who has a history of abuse, apology and back to abuse once a few weeks have elapsed. I am not going to be his victim. I respect your view but I do not share it.

Following post #1102;

Many car maufacturers use interchangeable parts from various models to mitigate production costs and facilitate ease of mainainance,
    Alice

Time Online
    29 d 2 h 51 m
    [I don’t take part in this game, largely because I only access the site from my telephone and do not know how to do bold or underlining, so Callipygian and I are perhaps not qualified to intervene. But if I were a player I would be fully supportive of Alice and William’s stance.]

Time Online
    37 d 4 h 44 m
    My My .......... just one little post about my puzzlement on the use of old wine bottle corks has led to this ...

Can we just all calm down a bit now, - and carry on playing these excellent and entertaining games...????

TRUCE ........ please

M4

Time Online
    19 d 12 h 30 m
    Right .... how about continuing the game? I really do not want to see it pass away. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the thread. Were we at #1102?

Fiona

Time Online
    173 d 2 h 8 m
    Alice provided a new sentence at the end of #1105

OTK is the warmest embrace Bottoms make the world go 'round.' All because the lady loves OTK

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    Fiona -

Following post #1102 with spelling corrected;

Many car manufacturers use interchangeable parts from various models to mitigate production costs and facilitate ease of maintenance.
    Alice

Time Online
    19 d 12 h 30 m
    Google is extremely useful to facilitate the acquisition of obscure facts.

Fiona

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 25 m
    Statistics are often misused to obscure the real state of vital public services such as the parlous condition of the National Health Service.
    Alice