Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Movies

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m

2017 Movies

Well I thought I'd kick it off this year, my first visit so far was tonight to see Assasins Creed.
    Im aware of the video game and its huge sales but don't know if the movie is at all faithful to it.
    The Knights Templar are out to crush the Creed and in modern day a bloodline relative, via way too much sci Fi goes back in time to the Inquisition era to slay the bad uns .
    Good fun but not a great movie, purely a showboat for Fassbender but not too horrid an experience 5/10 .
    We are all in the gutter,but some of us are staring at the stars.

Time Online
    70 d 11 h 34 m
    Just seen La La land. Very good. Funny in parts. Not sure it will get best film at the oscars though. Worth seeing though. The ending....hmmmm
    Next up is Jackie
    No man or woman is worth your tears, and the one who is, won't make you cry.

Here, there and everywhere but happily back in London now.
    Time Online
    13 d 12 h 31 m
    I finally got to seeing Fantastic beasts and where to find them last night.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Bottoms up!

Time Online
    7 d 18 h 33 m
    it really kicked up a gear when they all got inside the suitcase (fantastic beasts)

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Yes I did enjoy that movie myself

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Sing

just saw this tonight, was a really good fun movie, aimed at kids but a lot of adult humour too.
    Its a feel good flick with a lot of famous people on voiceover duties but hard not to like the main characters

Time Online
    7 d 18 h 33 m
    looks fun from the trailer is it pixar or dreamworks?

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybo View Post
    looks fun from the trailer is it pixar or dreamworks?
    Illumination , the guys that make Minions

Time Online
    7 d 18 h 33 m
    ah i see the light...

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybo View Post
    ah i see the light...
    Ha ha

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Train spotting 2 , Always great to see my City in movies, looking fabulous and revolving at 100mph.
    The crew are back and Begbie is still mental plus seething for the last 20 years at Rentons betrayal.
    I still think Jonny Lee Miller is really Scottish and the English accent he has is put on as his Embrace twang is so convincingly naturally Southside.

Plots ok but acting tremendous, great UK Director and brilliant source material, what's not to like ??

Time Online
    70 d 11 h 34 m
    Just seen Jackie. She doesn't come across as that nice a person. Pretty much her being interviewed. Good, but the violins got annoying! Not oscar worthy
    manchester by the sea?....
    No man or woman is worth your tears, and the one who is, won't make you cry.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Just saw silence, heavy, long but at the same time, a great story of Faith and mans cruelty to man.
    Brilliantly acted and directed but not a Saturday night feel good flick.

next up is the Lego Batman Movie, I'm there next Saturday with the small boy
    , he's hyper about it.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    The Lego Batman Movie

What can I say, the greatest movie of all time !!!!! No it's not lol

Will Arnett is however a funny guy , his take on the iconic Lego figure is funny , lots of in jokes for adults, great family fun flick

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 4 m
    Watched an half hour of the first Trainspotting film. Then turned it off. Never heard anything funny and didn't have a clue what it is about!!

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Everyone likes different things Mort, it's ok not to like something but I didn't think Trainspotting was funny , gritty, hardhitting yes , quite a hard watch actually but I did enjoy it and the sequel.

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 4 m
    Well, I understood it was about drug taking but didn’t really understand it so guess I’ll give the sequel a miss as well. Glad that you enjoyed it.

Something that I did watch, and greatly enjoy, is the Spanish film ‘Living with Eyes Closed’. A subtitled film about a Beatle-loving Spanish teacher of English who uses the lyrics of Beatles songs to teach English. The film described a ‘coming of age’ film is based on the true story of how the teacher discovered that Lennon was filming in Almeria (‘How I won the War’) and set off to meet him.

They did meet and the teacher complained to Lennon that he’d found it difficult to get the lyrics right from ‘Revolver’. Subsequently, all Beatles LPs, contained a lyric sheet. Spain in the 1960s was ruled by Franco (and the Catholic church) and the film gives an accurate and interesting insight into what life was like then,

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    I haven't seen that one nor heard of it yet but sounds interesting

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 4 m
    Well, sevenil, I’m not averse to watching sub-titled foreign language films. Indeed, I often record Spanish films for a linguist friend who then to ‘ruin’ the experience by pointing out the inaccuracies of the subtitles and how they wouldn’t be necessary if people weren’t too lazy to learn a language. Apparently, all you need do to learn a language is get a grammar book and a dictionary and read them!

Pandering to his needs has led to seeing some interesting films. One such was the Argentinian El Secreto de Sus Ojos. This is about a retired justice agent who in order to write a book revisits an unresolved case of rape and murder from decades age. There's more to the film than this! An inferior American version (the Secret in Their Eyes) was on TV recently. If you’re only going to see one version make sure it’s the original.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by mortinuk View Post
    Well, sevenil, I’m not averse to watching sub-titled foreign language films. Indeed, I often record Spanish films for a linguist friend who then to ‘ruin’ the experience by pointing out the inaccuracies of the subtitles and how they wouldn’t be necessary if people weren’t too lazy to learn a language. Apparently, all you need do to learn a language is get a grammar book and a dictionary and read them!

Pandering to his needs has led to seeing some interesting films. One such was the Argentinian El Secreto de Sus Ojos. This is about a retired justice agent who in order to write a book revisits an unresolved case of rape and murder from decades age. There's more to the film than this! An inferior American version (the Secret in Their Eyes) was on TV recently. If you’re only going to see one version make sure it’s the original.
    ive seen a number of French movies , notably Mesrine Chapters 1 and 2.
    The Original and by far the best , La Femme Nikita, Betty Blue,Subway and quite a few more, the Cameo Cinema in Edinburgh was great for these types of movies, back in the day.

Time Online
    13 d 12 h 31 m
    I Wanted to see Hacksaw Ridge last night but ended up seeing 50 Shades Darker instead.

A lot won't like it but I did.
    I fell in love with Dakota Johnson when I saw the first one and I have not gone off her after this one. But then I always want what I cannot have.

Don't expect a spanking film.
    Bottoms up!

Time Online
    67 d 1 h 31 m
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewStirling View Post
    I Wanted to see Hacksaw Ridge last night but ended up seeing 50 Shades Darker instead.

A lot won't like it but I did.
    I fell in love with Dakota Johnson when I saw the first one and I have not gone off her after this one. But then I always want what I cannot have.

Don't expect a spanking film.
    Just read a review on the new 50 Shades in the paper which made me laugh !!!!. : As erotic as a bluebottle landing on your bottom. All things considered, if it weren't for the S&M scenes, it would be an exceedingly dull film. With them, it is both dull and silly, which is worse !!!!!.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Not a big fan of those movies, missus loves them though

Time Online
    62 d 4 h 53 m
    We went to see Hidden Figures last night and really enjoyed it. For those who don't know, it's the (true) story of a three African-American women working as mathematicians and engineers at Nasa in the early 60s, and their struggle against racism and chauvinism in the workplace and wider community. The film weaves together the stories of the trio's personal battles for access and recognition with an account of Nasa's epic fight to catch up with the Soviet Union in the space race by placing a man (John Glenn) in orbit around the earth.

It's all a little predictable and cheesy at times, but the performances are lively and the music and period detail enjoyable. The main actress (Taraji P Henson) was terrific, and I thought that Kevin Costner was in good form as the stern Nasa boss.

-R
    This space left intentionally blank

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 16 m
    Quote Originally Posted by roundandbouncy View Post
    Just seen Jackie. She doesn't come across as that nice a person. Pretty much her being interviewed.
    I lasted about 15 minutes. Absolutely dreadful. I wouldn't even call it a film.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    We went to see Hidden Figures last night and really enjoyed it. For those who don't know, it's the (true) story of a three African-American women working as mathematicians and engineers at Nasa in the early 60s, and their struggle against racism and chauvinism in the workplace and wider community. The film weaves together the stories of the trio's personal battles for access and recognition with an account of Nasa's epic fight to catch up with the Soviet Union in the space race by placing a man (John Glenn) in orbit around the earth.

It's all a little predictable and cheesy at times, but the performances are lively and the music and period detail enjoyable. The main actress (Taraji P Henson) was terrific, and I thought that Kevin Costner was in good form as the stern Nasa boss.

-R
    Its a movie I intend to see, thanks for the review

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Trainspotting 2...in a cinema, despite my earlier post.
    I'm very fond of the original, and this is a worthy successor - I liked it very much indeed and would unreservedly recommend it.

Time Online
    13 d 12 h 31 m
    Hacksaw Ridge, Brilliant! It might be the best film that you will see this year.

Patriots Day, very good and absolutely recomended.
    Bottoms up!

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    The Great Wall,

Saw this last night , quite a good fantasy adventure, great effects , battle scenes reminiscent of the Helmsdeep scenes in The Two Towers.

Damon is the hero in the realm of ancient China as they build the wall to keep out a horde of demonic monsters.

No intelligence required but good fun.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewStirling View Post
    Hacksaw Ridge, Brilliant! It might be the best film that you will see this year.

Patriots Day, very good and absolutely recomended.
    Saw it but hadn't posted, I agree , stunning movie, story and well acted.

Time Online
    4 d 3 h 53 m
    I broke the habit of a lifetime and went to see La La Land twice; it was that good. Especially the lead and leadess. Vaguely autobiographic for her. Storyline was nice, with dramatic tension in the final minutes – a happy ending, or not? On 2nd viewing there was no surprise of course, but more opportunity to savour the performances.

Not sure if I’m allowed to post this on this thread, as it’s not a 2017 cinema release, but with my shiny new amazon subscription I found Preaching to the Perverted on the laptop. A lovely whimsical tale of a pretty young boy, Peter, who infiltrates a web of bdsm clubs and dungeon parties run by the beautiful Mistress Tanya Cheex and her queer lover EuGenie. Peter works for a sleazy northern tory christian MP and has to bring back covert video evidence of actual bodily harm, blasphemy and gross indecency to effect a private prosecution. Brought back fond memories of the late night London clubs I frequented in the early naughties – scenes nicely realistic; nothing likely to shock BS readers with lots of piercing on display and oodles of whipping, caning, bondage, electrics, pony play. Some smart dialogue – “EuGenie! Stop electrocuting Peter! He hasn’t consented yet.” And “Tell me your darkest fantasy. A husband, a dog and two kids.” Inevitably Peter switches to the other side, the MP proves to be not so wholesome, judiciary is shown to be an ass, and there’s an unexpected happy ending.

The film shows its age inevitably, yet paints a thoroughly affirmative picture of scene players hounded by a hostile press and establishment. What’s sad is that, almost 20 years on, the moral climate appears no more accepting in terms of public disapproval, potential prosecutions, new restrictions etc.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Logan,
    Just back from cinema tonight we saw Logan, Hugh Jackmans alleged last outing as the Wolverine.
    This isn't for kids , not just the 15 rating , it's brutal, emotional, action packed and well acted.
    Superhero movies don't, as a rule, have outstanding actors in them but this imho was an exception.
    If this is his last then the phrase " out with a bang" springs to mind.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Kong Skull Island on Thursday folks I'll let you know what I think after

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Kong Skull Island

Really enjoyed this, mysteries, Legends , huge monsters , psycho ex military guy and Kong.

Not the traditional Kong tale but without spoiling this, it's clearly building up to a monster franchise which could be great fun going forward.

Huddleston, Jackson and Goodman all seem to be having great fun without trying to get awards , which is great.

Kong, of course is the star and John C Reilly is superb as the stranded veteran who's going slightly bonkers.

Stay after the credits is all I'd say folks.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m

Beauty and the Beast

Was dragged to this last night but ended up enjoying it.

Still not convinced about Emma Watson as beauty, fine actress , attractive but doesn't imo portray my image of Belle.

Luke Evans is fab as Gaston and Josh Gad his sidekick is hilarious.

Lumiere, Cogsworth and Mrs Potts played by Ewan McGregor , Ian McKellen and Emma Thompson , steal the show .

Great fun but not in any way challenging and visually fantastic.

The "Be our Guest " number is fantastically portrayed on screen and is a highlight.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Boss Baby

saw at this Sunday, was funny , Baldwin plays Baldwin but the babies are portrayed hilariously and the storyline is pure kids stuff, with a few adult lines thrown in

Time Online
    2 d 10 h 53 m
    I tend to go to the cinema on average once every two weeks but have never replied to this thread.

Last week I was very disappointed with ‘Lost City of Z’, some excellent acting from Charlie Hunnan, Robert Pattinson and Andrew McFadyen in particular but the film suffered from being far too long at 2 hours and 20 minutes and at times I was confused by the continuity between scenes. Such a great pity as I feel there is actually a terrific movie in there.

Tomorrow I am away to see an entirely different type of film ‘Free Fire’ whose plot is based on a 1970’s gangland shootout in a deserted warehouse. Has anyone scene it?

Bob

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    I haven't seen Free Fire yet but it's on my list

Time Online
    1 d 2 h 52 m
    '50 Shades of Black' on Netflix.

Absolutely hilarious.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
    '50 Shades of Black' on Netflix.

Absolutely hilarious.
    I assume a parody ??