Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Movies

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Dick View Post
    The Limehouse Golem I thought very disappointing. I watched with high hopes after the recommendation on this thread, but it didn't do it for me, sorry. I found the Victorian demi-monde unconvincing and the storyline struggled to hold my attention. Yes, even that bit. Characterisation? Where?
    Bladerunner 2049 I thought excellent, only a whisker behind the original, which in its final cut iteration is one of my favourite films.
    Baby Driver was a pleasant surprise - witty, entertaining and unpredictable (if a little heavy on gunfire).
    i liked the Golem but hey we’re all different

I agree with you on Bladerunner, superb , loved it
    We are all in the gutter,but some of us are staring at the stars.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Hopefully be seeing Bladerunner again later this month in an IMAX...looking forward to that.
    Not 3d though...can't stand it.
    The Big Sick was very good, recommendation of my son's.

Time Online
    9 d 20 h 35 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenil View Post
    Wasnt the handmaids tale released a few years ago , I may be wrong but I recall a movie of that title with Natasha Richardson and if I remember Robert Duvall ???
    The Handmaid's Tale (1990)

It starred Natasha Richardson and Faye Dunaway as well as Robert Duvall and a few other well know actors. There has recently been a TV series too. Both film and TV series are based on Margaret Atwood’s book.
    Alice

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    A heads up for Personal Shopper. I liked this very much, and as I had no idea what it was about before watching it, and enjoyed it all the more for that I won't give away any plot. If you like blockbusters, maybe not for you...if you liked Cache or Jean de Florette you'll like it a great deal.

Time Online
    2 d 10 h 49 m
    The Snowman

In an earlier thread I mentioned looking forward to seeing this film. Great cast especially Michael Fassbender but please save your money, the film is an absolute stinker. I did not think they could take a fairly decent novel by Jo Nesbo and make a bad film out of it – wrong they have done exactly that.

A bitter disappointment.

Time Online
    118 d 8 h 10 m
    This year will be Natalie Portman in Venus in Furs. Not film but OMG. Going to be hot sex after that.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Quote Originally Posted by alice-in-oz View Post
    The Handmaid's Tale (1990)

It starred Natasha Richardson and Faye Dunaway as well as Robert Duvall and a few other well know actors. There has recently been a TV series too. Both film and TV series are based on Margaret Atwood’s book.
    Not to be confused with "The Handmaiden" which I watched last night. Korean film with subtitles.
    A young girl pickpocket is placed in a wealthy family as a maid to facilitate a scam.
    Stylish and unpredictable, with much young female flesh cavorting and even a bit of flagellation at points. Again, probably more one for the film buff than mainstream fodder, but a solid piece of work which handsomely repays investing a little of your time.

Time Online
    9 d 20 h 35 m
    Yes, very different films. Not watched The Handmaiden so I can't say if it is any good. You seem to think it might be worth a look so if I see it some time I might give it a whirl.
    Alice

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    Suburra: la serie, Head and shoulders above anything you'll see on British TV or in the cinema at the moment.

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 4 m
    BadAttitude said:
    Suburra: la serie,
    I must say I am somewhat taken back by your contribution to this thread as it’s proved to be informative and rather useful to me. I was unaware f this series Thank you I don’t mind watching films with subtitles and often find that foreign film and series often distinctive insights.

What’s even better is that there a number of books by the authors in my local library.

Meanwhile, I expect you are familiar with ‘Gomorrah’ and ‘1992’ and ‘1993’. I’ve watched a couple of series on ‘Water Presents’ and you may enjoy the Chilean series ‘Fugitives’

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 4 m
    Meanwhile, I fancy taking a look at ‘The Death of Stalin’ a comedy said to be based loosely on events following his death. I’m familiar with some of these events which have been reflected in some of the clips I’ve seen. I don’t think the examples of humour, described by someone as a ‘comedy of terror’, in these clips are funny – well, not for me! -. If the film fails to honour and reflect Comrade Stalin’s glorious legacy and reputation then some people may find themselves standing in front a wall.

I wait with interest to read the views from anyone who sees this film.

Time Online
    62 d 4 h 48 m
    I'm planning to see The Death of Stalin in about two weeks' time.

I haven't seen the trailers so I can't comment on those, but if it's strict historical accuracy you're looking for this may not be for you as it's promoted as, "a film that combines comedy, drama, pathos and political manoeuvring".

I'll let you know how I get on.

-R
    This space left intentionally blank

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    Quote Originally Posted by mortinuk View Post
    BadAttitude said:

I must say I am somewhat taken back by your contribution to this thread as it’s proved to be informative and rather useful to me. I was unaware f this series Thank you I don’t mind watching films with subtitles and often find that foreign film and series often distinctive insights.

What’s even better is that there a number of books by the authors in my local library.

Meanwhile, I expect you are familiar with ‘Gomorrah’ and ‘1992’ and ‘1993’. I’ve watched a couple of series on ‘Water Presents’ and you may enjoy the Chilean series ‘Fugitives’
    I usually dislike Italian TV as they speak so fast I can't keep up with the subtitles but they're quite reasonable in this series.

p.s. my posts are always informative.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    I’m intending to see Ragnarok this week, anyone else ..

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Just come back from IMAX viewing of Bladerunner 2049. Saw it in the Liverpool Odeon.
    The film was great, and I got more out of it on second viewing.
    IMAX....a bit of a curates egg. Image quality was fabulous - no complaints there, only plaudits.
    Sound, though....
    it was almost as if they had something to prove. Too loud by about a third. Bass distortion in some of the loudest passages, and at least two separate speakers in the ceiling array on the way out, giving a buzzing rattle at times. The whole seat vibrating thing I could have done without, too, again, like the high volume, this actually reduced verisimilitude for me.
    They unfortunately seem to confuse quality with volume...

Here, there and everywhere but happily back in London now.
    Time Online
    13 d 12 h 31 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenil View Post
    I’m intending to see Ragnarok this week, anyone else ..
    I might see it next week up in Middlesbrough. But my favourite Marvel character Thor with short hair? What is all that about????

I saw Geostorm the other night. Very entertaining.
    Bottoms up!

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewStirling View Post
    I might see it next week up in Middlesbrough. But my favourite Marvel character Thor with short hair? What is all that about????

I saw Geostorm the other night. Very entertaining.

Rotten Tomatoes not so upbeat:
    Critics Consensus: Lacking impressive visuals, well-written characters, or involving drama, Geostorm aims for epic disaster-movie spectacle but ends up simply being a disaster of a movie.
    IMDB user reviews more positive...
    Probably because of the weak marketing campaign, I'n not hear much of Geostrom, and I watched it last night with low expectation.

And Woow!!! I did not expect to see it coming. It was so Goood!! The Weather technology used in this movie are very detailed. I love how Geostorm makes this sci-fi movie into a thrill mystery. I love to see the chemistry between Jim Sturgess and Abbie Cornish. The only lacking here is the development between Jim Sturgess and Gerard Butler character.

While waiting for the big movie at the end of the year, Geostorm is definitely must watch.
    Last edited by J J Dick; 22-10-2017 at 22:35.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Dick View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes not so upbeat:
    Critics Consensus: Lacking impressive visuals, well-written characters, or involving drama, Geostorm aims for epic disaster-movie spectacle but ends up simply being a disaster of a movie.
    IMDB user reviews more positive...
    Probably because of the weak marketing campaign, I'n not hear much of Geostrom, and I watched it last night with low expectation.

And Woow!!! I did not expect to see it coming. It was so Goood!! The Weather technology used in this movie are very detailed. I love how Geostorm makes this sci-fi movie into a thrill mystery. I love to see the chemistry between Jim Sturgess and Abbie Cornish. The only lacking here is the development between Jim Sturgess and Gerard Butler character.

While waiting for the big movie at the end of the year, Geostorm is definitely must watch.
    Maybe a Monday nighter ???

Time Online
    44 m
    Regardless of what critics say, I liked Pirates of the Caribbean 2017. It might have not the best scenario but the actors play is great as usual in the Pirates movie, especially Johnny Depp is remarkable (as usual). I really like and respect this guy, especially his engagement in charity, like for example he owned this luxurious house in France https://tranio.com/france/adt/1635106/ and after selling it he gave part of the money to charity.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Ragnarok tonight it is

Time Online
    13 d 12 h 31 m
    Saw it and enjoyed it.

Looking forward to Murder on the Orient Express.
    Bottoms up!

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Saw this last night. Really enjoyed it , good cast superb scenes and Branagh was excellent as Poirot.

Thought Depp was great too as a sleazy yank , really nailed it

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Jigsaw

The Saw franchise is reborn and the usual gore fest , twists and who is behind it all conundrums

it’s basically the same as all the others

Time Online
    13 d 12 h 31 m
    Murder on the Orient Express was excellent.
    Bottoms up!

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewStirling View Post
    Murder on the Orient Express was excellent.
    Definitely on the to see list.

Time Online
    62 d 4 h 48 m
    Just back from seeing The Death of Stalin, and I enjoyed it.

I know it takes some liberties with the historical facts, but it's very entertaining and laugh out loud funny in places. The stand-out performances for me were Simon Russell Beale as Beria (head of Stalin's secret police) and Steve Buscemi as Nikita Khruschev. The former is a study in cold menace where the latter is more pop-eyed motormouth farce, and that combination of mortal fear and humour is at the heart of this film. I was impressed by the locations and the general feel of the film - it all seemed authentically soviet - and I thought the decision to let the actors speak more or less in their native accents was a good one, so we were spared the usual Mr-Chekov-from-Star-Trek impressions that normally come with a film based in Russia.

The only performance I didn't like was Stalin himself, but fortunately he didn't get much screen time. But honourable mentions should go to Michael Palin as Foreign Secretary Molotov and to Jason Isaacs as General Zhukov, who were much better.

I suppose I expected the film to be a bit funnier than it turned out to be, but that's not really a criticism.

-R
    This space left intentionally blank

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    It’s one I’ll go see cheers

Time Online
    2 d 10 h 49 m
    The Death of Stalin

I had wanted to see this film but was a bit disappointed to learn that the larger cinemas in both Stirling and Falkirk were not showing it. Fortunately, I managed to see it at The MacRobert (Stirling University) where it had screened to full audiences all week.

What an absolute gem of a film, from the initial scenes of Stalin demanding an immediate recording of a classical concert from Radio Russia and the frantic efforts of the producer to recreate the concert (which had not been recorded) were hilarious and set the tone for the rest of the film.

In keeping with Armando Iannucci’s other work, the humour is dark, very dark in places.

Absolutely brilliant acting from all concerned, especially Tambor, Riseborough and Friend. Also nice to see Michael Palin, as Molotov, back on the screen (one of his speeches minded me of a Monty Python sketch). However, well into the film it is Jason Isaacs as General Zhukov, complete with a northern English accent, who steals the show.

Great orchestral music, on a side note it seems unbelievable that during Stalin’s reign of terror some of the best loved composers managed to write music still held as innovative. Stravinsky, Prokofiev and Shostakovich to name but three.

In my opinion money well spent and will buy it to watch again when it comes out on DVD.

Bob

Time Online
    13 d 12 h 31 m
    Only the Brave is my viewing tonight at the Showcase.
    Bottoms up!

Time Online
    22 h 25 m
    not sure if its already been covered but I loved 'the handmaiden' - superb cinema and blew me away. also liked 'jawbone' and 'toni erdman'.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Paddington 2

Saw this Friday night , great clean fun, OTT story of course but Hugh Grant is worth a mention for his self deprecating role

Some well known acting peers pop up too but a nice movie indeed

Justice League on Friday for me next

Time Online
    14 d 7 h N/A
    Finally saw King Arthur with the hunky Charlie Hunnam at the weekend, absolute roller coaster of action and as I love myths, legends, dragons, Vikings and such like it was right up my street. Loved all the special effects and I'm quite a fan of Guy Ritchie's story telling with Arthur growing up in gangster London. Shame it bombed at the box office but I really enjoyed it and have put the DVD on my Amazon wish list I liked it so much.
    **Professional submissive/switch, great venues Birmingham/Bristol/London and lots of implements!**

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    If you like the Arthurian myth - Welsh/Brythonic stories originally BTW - the two-part Merlin with Sam Neil is excellent, if you don't already know it.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Justice League

Action , superhero’s Parademons and Batman.
    This is a tad all over the place but works really well, Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg are introduced to good effect , especially Flash, some of the best scenes are his.

If like me you love this stuff then you’ll not be disappointed

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Daddy’s Home 2 and Bad Moms Xmas

both very very very funny and had me laughing, I preferred Daddy’s Home 2 just because I thought Mel Gibson was awesome in it but the Bad Moms is good fun and lots of crude jokes , Susan Sarandon is great in this

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Mollys Game

Based on the novel Molly Bloom it stars Jessica Chastain and Iris Elba and revolves around the title character running underground , high end poker tournaments.

Its well acted, good movie but drags a bit a 6.5/10

Time Online
    70 d 6 h 39 m
    Battle of the sexes. Emma stone so convincing as BJK you forget it is not her.
    Great film, definitely worth seeing.
    very funny in places. Second tennis film this year.
    No man or woman is worth your tears, and the one who is, won't make you cry.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    15 d 8 h 59 m
    Quote Originally Posted by roundandbouncy View Post
    Battle of the sexes. Emma stone so convincing as BJK you forget it is not her.
    Great film, definitely worth seeing.
    very funny in places. Second tennis film this year.
    My goodlady wants to see this

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    A bit late to the party, but watched Dunkirk last night. Gripping and grittily authentic to my mind, and as a mainstream film nicely risky in having no central story, or love interest. Or normal sequential time, for that matter.

On another tack, episode 4 of Godless has a nicely authentic bare bottom punisment of a pretty girl...and a general heads up for this series, which is excellent.
    For those that don't know, Godless is probaly a series for those who thought the robots and other bollocks got in the way of a perfectly good western in Westworld (the newer one, not the Yul Brunner one).

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    Gunslingers, cowboy hats and improbable shootouts where the heroes only ever get flesh wounds