Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunkirk

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m

Dunkirk

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2017/jul/20/dunkirk-spirit-british-film-brexit-national-identity-christopher-nolan

I normally think the Guardian is a load of old waffle but what a brilliant article.
    Not wuite as funny and slightly more elevating than Farage's shite in the Torygraph today of course but that isn't exactly hard is it?

Time Online
    21 d 21 h 10 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post
    https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2017/jul/20/dunkirk-spirit-british-film-brexit-national-identity-christopher-nolan

I normally think the Guardian is a load of old waffle but what a brilliant article.
    Not wuite as funny and slightly more elevating than Farage's shite in the Torygraph today of course but that isn't exactly hard is it?

Always some good stuff in the Grauniad, Burgundy, though Private Eye are giving them a bit of a rough ride at the moment (see current issue just published): they're by no means immune themselves from some of the stuff they complain about and campaign against. But on the whole, I think, along with the FT, they're streets ahead of the rest of Fleet Street.

Time Online
    13 d 2 h 46 m
    I've not read the review but I have seen the film and I was very impressed. Very atmospheric, almost journalistic without being shot in faux black and white. The music, the sound effects, all made this seem very tense. Perhaps got a touch sentimental towards the end, but mostly avoided that.
    Luck is like any other skill, the more you practice the better it gets

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    How funny. I thought the film was vapid and cliche ridden. The old original film captured it much better I felt possibly because so many people in it were alive and involved in the war.

I thoght rhe article was excellent as it's about Brexit.

Time Online
    109 d 8 h 48 m

They lost some of my investment just a few words in by putting an apostrophe into the word 'Nazis' within the first photo caption - but then they don't refer to it as 'The Grauniad' for nothing.

I saw the film this afternoon, and found it anything but vapid ('offering nothing that is stimulating or challenging; bland'). In fact, I haven't been so consistently stimulated by a cinema experience in a very long time. Admittedly it's not perfect - for example some of the dialogue is a little clunky, but there's so little dialogue that it scarcely matters. And although I tried to fight it I was genuinely stirred by the ending, which is saying something coming from a cynic like me who generally gets turned off by too much obvious emotional manipulation.
    --------------------
    Lurk and let lurk
    --------------------

Time Online
    21 d 21 h 10 m

You might like the current Private Eye cover

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    Very funny! I agree with this review.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/jul/26/bloodless-boring-empty-christopher-nolan-dunkirk-left-me-cold

Apparently there is to be a new film made about the Battle of Britain. I wonder if it will be as good as the one made in the 70s. Like the Dunkirk film I wonder whether people closer to the events had a better grip on the implications of it all. Both of my parents talked about standing in the street in London watching the bombers going over head and the dog fights where they could hear the machine gun fire from the olanes. Perhaps that generation had something more genuine to say about it.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    The Private Eye front page seems to get it right. A thee year transitional arrangement. Or the same. Farage must be spinning in his coffin. By then we will have held another referendum too and fine back in. What a waste of time and effort.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/features/how-are-you-pretending-brexit-is-still-a-good-idea-20170810133830

Time Online
    109 d 8 h 48 m
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/features/how-are-you-pretending-brexit-is-still-a-good-idea-20170810133830

Clickified it for you.
    --------------------
    Lurk and let lurk
    --------------------

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    Thank you.

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    The Private Eye front page seems to get it right. A thee year transitional arrangement. Or the same. Farage must be spinning in his coffin. By then we will have held another referendum too and fine back in. What a waste of time and effort.
    You are obsessed with Brexit. Get help.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    I just have your best interests at heart BA. Who will look after you in your old people's home when all the foreigners have gone home? I certainly won't.

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    Should I live long enough God forbid I should be so poor that I had to go into a rest home staffed by buffoons such as yourself.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    Gosh BA. Back from Virginia already?

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    Gosh BA. Back from Virginia already?
    Are you trying to insinuate I am a racist?

You sad little tit.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    That's an improvement BA. Better than wanker and what was it cunt that you called me before.

And be yes I suspect you probably are. I liked the comment of one US senator over the weekend that his brother didn't give his life fighting Hitler for nazis not to be called out.

Time me to stand up for values against Trolls and worse.

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    You are all of those things and a moron to boot. I suspect in real life you wouldn't say boo to a goose but from behind the safety of your keyboard you will quite happily throw around drunken slurs.

Time Online
    167 d 16 h 31 m
    Burgundy is quite well known at munches and things. I've never met him in real life but several people have.

So he's proved himself to be more than just pixels on a screen.

You?

Quote Originally Posted by BadAttitude View Post
    You are all of those things and a moron to boot. I suspect in real life you wouldn't say boo to a goose but from behind the safety of your keyboard you will quite happily throw around drunken slurs.
    Currently being rather well looked after by that well-known Toppy-Monster-Around-Town, Clovis.

Time Online
    65 d 22 h 46 m
    Burgandy is proably a bit to modest to mention this and I hope he won't mind me going public with this one and poking my nose in but I know for a fact he has messaged you and invited you for a beer to chat things over and sort out any differences but you failed to reply. So your post about him hiding behind a keyboard doesn't exactly stand-up. Consequently it does seem there is only one person hiding behind the saftey of a keyboard.
    I accept I am quite low profile as far as many events go but In saying that I would also love to meet the people I have had disagrements with on here and have a chat. I'd like to ask them questions as I'm sure they would me. Its very easy to build up a perception of someone you only know through the internet. Many times you can be correct but just occasionally that perception may be completley wrong when meeting someone face to face!! Yes, I also accept sometimes I might have got it wrong but I certainly wouldn't shy away from meeting anyone !!!
    Incidentally you and any others would have been quite welcome to come for a drink the other night in Reading. It was an open invitation to anyone on here and there was enough publicity about it, (Thames Valley Spanking Group) Its not that far from Surrey where you are based if you had wanted to meet up away from the saftey of a keyboard and have a chat as opposed to getting into a public slanging match on the site.
    Last edited by supersub; 14-08-2017 at 16:27.
    A long standing love affair with red and white stripes

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    While I was surprised by Burgundy's invitation I was not excited by it, the lack of a reply was a rare moment of diplomacy from me.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    Thanks Katiebug and Supersub

i don't doubt I have many faults and pleasant and unpleasant eccentricities but to be honest I don't think I have ever used swear words to or about anyone on an internet forum. That sort of reminds me of the various occasions when I have ventured into the chat room when the visiting trolls are on there swearing at people.

I am am not a big party going person either but o have met a number of people on here without in any case a punch up ensuing. Alright in a couple of cases some spanking has followed but that was entirely consensual.

Time Online
    65 d 22 h 46 m
    While I was surprised by Burgundy's invitation I was not excited by it, the lack of a reply was a rare moment of diplomacy from me.
    So just to summarise: You accuse Burgandy of hiding behind his keyboard and not saying boo to a goose but you admit to recieving an invitation from him for a drink and a chat but you didn't respond or take up his invite. Ummmmmm, I think people will draw their own conclusions to that !!!

As one or two others have found out to their cost on here in the past, if you are going to call someone out/slang them off on a site like this its best to ensure you have your own house in order first.

Hopefully thats the slanging off put to bed, nothing wrong with difference of opinions, and normal service / discussions will be renewed.
    A long standing love affair with red and white stripes

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/racist-struggling-to-draw-swastikas-2015011694493

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    So just to summarise: You accuse Burgandy of hiding behind his keyboard and not saying boo to a goose but you admit to recieving an invitation from him for a drink and a chat but you didn't respond or take up his invite. Ummmmmm, I think people will draw their own conclusions to that !!!

As one or two others have found out to their cost on here in the past, if you are going to call someone out/slang them off on a site like this its best to ensure you have your own house in order first.

Hopefully thats the slanging off put to bed, nothing wrong with difference of opinions, and normal service / discussions will be renewed.

Just to summarise: I find Burgundy with his identikit Brexit is bad & Donald Trump obsessions to be a halfwit and I'm not in the habit of meeting halfwits from the internet for drinks. I'm sorry if that upsets you but it is not a policy I intend to change.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    You old charmer BA. But you have been called out and lost.

Someone pointed out to me that you are possibly a doppelgänger account as well.

Have fun in your troll existence.

Time Online
    9 d 19 h 8 m
    I don't like swearing in speech and I find it wholly inappropriate in writing. If people need to use profane language to insult then it says much that is detrimental to them. I suggest that it's better to ignore them.

I don't get upset if people disagree with me. I don't take it personally. It's a consequence of differing educations, reading and occupations. It's god that people disagree as it may lead to different ways of seeing and experiencing the world. There used t be an American Sartan on whose views were radically different but I used to enjoy reading them. In genera, I expect that if many met in real life that the meeting would be amicable. You can't really, adequately, judge a person's character and personality until you meet them

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    Quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by mortinuk View Post
    I don't like swearing in speech and I find it wholly inappropriate in writing. If people need to use profane language to insult then it says much that is detrimental to them. I suggest that it's better to ignore them.

I don't get upset if people disagree with me. I don't take it personally. It's a consequence of differing educations, reading and occupations. It's god that people disagree as it may lead to different ways of seeing and experiencing the world. There used t be an American Sartan on whose views were radically different but I used to enjoy reading them. In genera, I expect that if many met in real life that the meeting would be amicable. You can't really, adequately, judge a person's character and personality until you meet them

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    What was the name of that Irish comedy programme that had Father a jack sitting in his arm chair asleep occasionally exploding with swear words?

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    You old charmer BA. But you have been called out and lost.

Someone pointed out to me that you are possibly a doppelgänger account as well.

Have fun in your troll existence.
    Lost? Lost what?

A doppelgänger account? Do you really think I need two accounts? Maybe you are on to something though, maybe that might be twice the fun

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    You suggested I would not be brave enough to meet you and then admitted I suggested we should. Makes you come across as a fake.

Various people on here have met me and I bet they would admit to it without necessarily saying they like me.

But is that true of you? My big puzzle with you is that you share nothing about you as a person really or about your kink if you have one. I have an open heart on that. Possibly too much but I am what I say I am and I care about the political things I say I care about. Some of it I think affects us as kinky people.

Not sure what winds you up so much. Is it because I was poor as a child yet did well and still actually care about people? That I don't like racism and bigots?

i don't follow the moniker of someone who just bursts in every now and again saying swear words. Why it's been suggested this BA account is the flip side of someone else.

I would ask if you have ever played with someone but that would be disrespectful to nice people who haven't yet got the courage or chance to do it.

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    You suggested I would not be brave enough to meet you and then admitted I suggested we should. Makes you come across as a fake.
    If you read back I think you'll find what I actually said was...
    ... I suspect in real life you wouldn't say boo to a goose but from behind the safety of your keyboard you will quite happily throw around drunken slurs.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    Well you bottled the chance of me saying boo to your face then. I am not the one who has used words like wanker cunt and tit to the other in this debate. You are. It's odd you think a meeting for a beer would involve me possibly being aggressive to you. Says a lot about you and not me. I don't like racists and bigots as I think you are but I am educated and well adjusted enough to spend an hour in a pub with someone who may revolt me.

Still avoid the question don't you? Who can vouch for you? Please can someone who has met you even stand forward. Are you just a figment of your own little imagination.

I am am a big six foot six bloke smelly etc. People know me.

Not some internet troll.

QUOTE=BadAttitude;1239949]If you read back I think you'll find what I actually said was...[/QUOTE]

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    Well you bottled the chance of me saying boo to your face then. I am not the one who has used words like wanker cunt and tit to the other in this debate. You are. It's odd you think a meeting for a beer would involve me possibly being aggressive to you. Says a lot about you and not me.
    Bottled? You do have a vivid imagination don't you. I have long since deleted your invitation but irc you wanted to be my friend, you wanted for us to get on. There was nothing to bottle. I ignored your invitation not out of fear but because, as I have already said, I am not in the habit of meeting halfwits from the internet and I have no intention of changing that policy just so you can try and be chummy.

I don't like racists and bigots as I think you are but I am educated and well adjusted enough to spend an hour in a pub with someone who may revolt me.
    Yes you keep saying you are not a racist or a bigot and you keep repeating that you believe I am both of those things. If you are such a lovely well adjusted person perhaps you would do me the courtesy of pointing to the evidence that leads you to these conclusions.

Still avoid the question don't you? Who can vouch for you? Please can someone who has met you even stand forward. Are you just a figment of your own little imagination.
    Why does anyone need to vouch for me. If you believe I am a figment of someone's imagination I am okay with that. I'm not a needy person. I don't need anyone's validation or approval.

I am am a big six foot six bloke smelly etc. People know me.

Not some internet troll.
    If you believe I am a troll that is fine with me.

Time Online
    9 d 19 h 8 m
    Is it possible for one of you to take the adult role and act accordingly? Please.

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    I will the moment Burgundy acknowledges he has no good reason to call me a racist or a bigot.

Time Online
    113 d 5 h 14 m
    I think the best advice I have had over the years is don't feed the troll.

So I shan't from now on

Signed off by your respectful honest

what was it

wanker, cunt and tit.

Dont doubt i have been called that by more worthwhile people too.

No no more troll feeding from me.

Time Online
    7 d 15 h 54 m
    I'll take it you can not find any evidence of me being either a racist or a bigot so rather than apologising you are running off like the halfwit wanker that you are.

Time Online
    109 d 8 h 48 m
    I was going to complain that a thread titled 'Dunkirk' had gone so far off-topic, but I suppose at least there's been no shortage of sniping.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, it's a mystery to me how so many threads (and not just on this forum) degenerate into extended tit-for-tat barbed exchanges between a couple of people, neither of whom is ever going to 'win' - unless one counts that most hollow of victories known as 'having the last word', which is typically caused by one party getting distracted or just plain bored.

Large parts of the internet are swamped by this stuff.

Life's too short, people!
    --------------------
    Lurk and let lurk
    --------------------

Time Online
    167 d 16 h 31 m
    Well. You're not helping by banging about people being too short. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonLurker View Post

Life's too short, people!
    Currently being rather well looked after by that well-known Toppy-Monster-Around-Town, Clovis.