Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Time Online
    10 d 3 h 4 m

The perfect metaphor(s) for Brexit continued Part Two

There is some difficulty in accessing the original thread so have made it into two parts

I'm going to cancel Netflix and negotiate with each film producer separately, to get the best deal for me and my family

Or

Set up a new Netflix with no films, no tv shows but the knowledge that I'm in control... (tweets from the today's IndependentThere is sme difficulty in accessing this thread so have made it into two parts

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Izzy Wizzy Lets Get Busy....before this one vanishes too.

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    Was reading an interesting article in the Lancet about air pollution and the effects it has on health. One of the biggest pollutants is diesel exhaust fumes. In the USA Volkswagen were fined $4.3bn for fiddling their way through the emission control tests. Does anyone know why the EU didn't fine them at all?

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Worried about your KDF-Wagen?
    You didn't read it unless you're a doc or have a subscription. It's behind a paywall.

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    VW sells 4 times as many vehicles in the EU than it does in the US so pro rata the EU should be looking to fine them 15bn.

We all know how much the EU likes to fine companies for breaching their regulations, microsoft, Google, Intel, Facebook, etc. etc. have all faced massive fines so I wonder why the EU haven't fined the German car maker Volkswagen at all?

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Dick View Post
    You didn't read it unless you're a doc or have a subscription. It's behind a paywall.
    I'm afraid you are wrong yet again. Just register and you can read the article.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Some action in the pipeline reported here, 26000, per vehicle. But shutting the stable door after the horse etc.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAttitude View Post
    I'm afraid you are wrong yet again. Just register and you can read the article.
    I don't do that, sorry. Read a few of these and you won't either.
    http://95theses.co.uk/?page_id=21

Time Online
    118 d 8 h 10 m
    I cant really work out what you lot are on about but the opening of the proscutions that have happened this week suggest the begginging of the end.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    It's a bit worrying when the chief brexit negotiator comes out with statements like this, as he did today....David Davis pronounces that:

"The withdrawal agreement, on balance, will probably favour the [European] union in terms of things like money and so on. Whereas the future relationship will favour both sides and will be important to both of us."

Reassuring that the mediocrity handling negotiations has such a firm grasp on the English language.
    Favour both sides.
    FFS
    I think he may have managed to underachieve even BA.

And favour the European Union in terms of money and so on - I doubt if even hard line brexiteers voted for that.
    Did you, BA?

Time Online
    9 d 20 h 35 m
    Some action in the pipeline reported here, 26000, per vehicle. But shutting the stable door after the horse etc.
    Agreed it is a bit late, however, the UK and indeed any nation state had the power to make there own regulations. The UK also chose to ignore the defeat software scandal. Or has it acted since? I doubt it.
    Alice

Time Online
    9 d 20 h 35 m
    J J - As a subscriber to the Lancet I have read the article referred to together with the supplementary appendix to the article, together they total 182 pages. Though pollution from diesel fuel is certainly undesirable, to suggest that "One of the biggest pollutants is diesel exhaust fumes" is arrant nonsense. How one can conclude that from reading the article and appendix is beyond me and shows a total misunderstanding of the findings or a total misrepresentation of them. Either way the poster is wrong. It simply never makes that statement.
    Alice

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    182 pages?
    That's a lot of lip moving - he can't have done it, his lips would be in traction.

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    First we had someone disputing that Ryanair pioneered low air fares in the EU now we have someone disputing that diesel exhaust fumes are a one of the biggest air pollutants in our cities.

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 4 m
    We have also someone who thinks pithy sentences are an indication of sagacity.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Lisp?

Time Online
    30 d 22 h 53 m
    Lisp?
    I used to program in that on a PDP-10. I suppose I'm showing my age

Nobody loves a smartarse

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    I guess the brexit news is that Labour, by using an obscure piece of parliamentary legislation and a vote yesterday, may have been able to force the publication of what has been up to now David Davis's hideously expensive vanity project, the brexit Impact Studies.
    Release to who - we are not worthy - and to what extent redacted seems uncertain at the moment.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    More in the Russians influencing the American election and brexit saga, via Farage, Assange, Aaron Banks, Papadopoulos and now...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-russia-trump
    My cup runneth over.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    A further installment in the brexit soap.
    I think a new scriptwriter is needed - the tories are venal, self serving and incompetent trope has been hammered to beyond credibility.
    If only it weren't so worryingly true.
    Do these even exist, or have we been lied to all along?
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...se/?ref=twtrec

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    Yet more threats from Barnier today over how much cash the EU parliament want.

Someone should remind him that on 30th March 2019 all tariffs on Japanese cars imported into the UK can be abolished while if there is no trade deal and the EU wants WTO rules to apply there will be tariffs slapped on all EU cars imported into the UK. The clock is indeed ticking

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Yet more threats from Barnier today over how much cash the EU parliament want.

Someone should remind him that on 30th March 2019 all tariffs on Japanese cars imported into the UK can be abolished while if there is no trade deal and the EU wants WTO rules to apply there will be tariffs slapped on all EU cars imported into the UK. The clock is indeed ticking
    I'll be polite here, and say a not entirely accurate post, rather than ad hominem that the poster is a fantasist with no foothold in reality.

Here's how the negotiations went, with the involvement of the pathetic and out of his depth Davies.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...defeat-barnier

and here is how WTO and the car industry works and will work, post tory brexit, should it come to that.

https://www.ft.com/content/b56d0936-...b-33fe0c5b7eaa

Time Online
    9 h 22 m
    You quote FT and Guardian both of which are vocal remain papers. It's not a 'Tory Brexit' by the way it's the Brexit 52% of people voted for. The time for you to make your case was before June 2016. Now we need people to accept democracy and come up with ways of making it work, even if on WTO rules.
    Your hidden agenda, to thwart the referendum, is pretty clear. As is the case with most remainers.

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    Here's how the negotiations went, with the involvement of the pathetic and out of his depth Davies.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...defeat-barnier
    Do you not know John Crace is a comedy writer?

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Quote Originally Posted by monica61 View Post
    You quote FT and Guardian both of which are vocal remain papers. It's not a 'Tory Brexit' by the way it's the Brexit 52% of people voted for. The time for you to make your case was before June 2016. Now we need people to accept democracy and come up with ways of making it work, even if on WTO rules.
    Your hidden agenda, to thwart the referendum, is pretty clear. As is the case with most remainers.
    Sorry, Sockmonica, tory brexit it is...I'll quote myself here:

Which party in government was so divided amongst itself it was losing MPs and possibly seats to a pressure group funded by billionaire investment bankers, tax exiles and millionaire trough-feeders and bankrolled by the biggest spiv since Walker on Dads Army?

Which Prime Minister capitulated to this pressure and was the architect of Brexit?

What was his party again?

This was the same person and party as then proceeded to preside over the most fucking stupid yes/no question about the most complex aspect of UK life and did so with no checks, balances, thresholds or controls, wasn’t it?

What was this party again?

What proportion of this party’s supporters voted Brexit? (58%)

What proportion of Labour voters voted remain? (63%)

And 70% of liberal democrats voted remain, too.

Which party predominantly espoused leave, despite the efforts of its leader?

Which party had no contingency plan for it all going wrong, as it unquestionably did, beyond the resignation of its leader?

And following the resignation of its leader, which party installed a discredited and embarrassing racist lightweight Brexit campaigner who had fled to hiding when the result came out as the UK’s overseas representative?

And put a guy in charge of Brexit who, truthfully I’ve heard, can’t even make a sandwich.

Which party’s new leader then decided to hold an election to “strengthen her hand” in a hard Brexit negotiation position? How much time did this waste? What then happened? Was this party’s position strengthened as she confidently anticipated?

And when this massively failed, in yet another monumental tory cock up, who then got into bed with terrorists – not “talking to them” as they liked to carp about the leader of the opposition, but not just in bed with them but actually full on unprotected sex and financing/bribing them to the tune of billions. You might want to therefore now call this a terrorist Brexit, and I’d have to concede you had a case.

Which party has since achieved 3/5 of FA in negotiations?

Bearing in mind all of the above, maybe you can come up with a better phrase to describe it than tory brexit?

And thwart the referendum? Absolutely, with another referendum. It's called democracy.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Do you not know John Crace is a comedy writer?

You feel threatened?

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Quote Originally Posted by monica61 View Post
    Who are "we" and who are "people"?

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    can come up with a better phrase to describe it than tory brexit?
    You are in denial. It is a fact that people from every political party and of many political persuasions voted fro Brexit. Rainbow would be far more accurate description than Tory.

And thwart the referendum? Absolutely, with another referendum. It's called democracy.
    We have had the referendum. If you don't like the result and really can't live without the EU then move there.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m

We have had the referendum. If you don't like the result and really can't live without the EU then move there.
    BA, I would do, but it's going to be overrun with brexiteers, leaving behind the dry husk of a destroyed Britain.
    Including you, I believe?

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    You are in denial. It is a fact that people from every political party and of many political persuasions voted fro Brexit. Rainbow would be far more accurate description than Tory.
    As I said...

You appear to be the one in denial.

Tory brexit.

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    As I said...

You appear to be the one in denial.

Tory brexit.
    So you say 37% of Labour voters and 30% of Liberals are actually Tories?

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    BA, I would do, but it's going to be overrun with brexiteers, leaving behind the dry husk of a destroyed Britain.
    Including you, I believe?
    Excuses excuses.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Excuses excuses.

No, a practical consideration. Why would I want to relocate to a Europe bescummed with the racist hard of thinking brexit dross?

Anyway, some interesting meditations on democracy arise reading this.
    https://business-reporter.co.uk/2017...exit-disaster/

And this.
    I apologise it being the Mail, and advise the practice of normal hygiene procedures after reading - ones laid down with our input by the EU should be quite sufficient.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...0-exposed.html

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    No, a practical consideration. Why would I want to relocate to a Europe bescummed with the racist hard of thinking brexit dross?
    So you'd rather live in

the dry husk of a destroyed Britain.
    than in your beloved EU.

Doesn't say a lot for Druncker's utopia does it.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    Ahhh...BA....been at the Chateau de Lame again?

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    Have to laugh at the self-generated scaremongering/fake news from left leaning/Marxists establishment interests such as the BMA

Brexit: One in five EU doctors make plans to leave NHS because of withdrawal

The ONS tell us the reality is the complete opposite; EU workers continue to vote with their feet and flock to the UK

Number of EU workers in UK rises by 112,000 since Brexit vote

Let's just hope Michel Barnier doesn't detain all their cats and dogs in retaliation

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 4 m
    "left leaning/Marxists establishment interests such as the BMA" Really!

You are comparing two different populations so your pint is irrelevant.

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    When your fake news lets you down try to muddy the water

The fact is Brexit is not putting off EU citizens coming to work in the UK.

Time Online
    5 d 15 h 42 m
    When your fake news lets you down try to muddy the water

The fact is Brexit is not putting off EU citizens coming to work in the UK.
    ...but the smart and useful ones we should be anxious to cultivate - doctors and nurses - are exiting or not coming here because of brexit, as in your first link
    "Earlier this month nursing leaders reported a spike in EU nurses leaving since the Brexit vote, blaming it for nurse numbers falling to a four year low. This comes after applications from EU nurses looking to come to the UK, nosedived 96 per cent."

Time Online
    9 d 5 h 12 m
    This comes after applications from EU nurses looking to come to the UK, nosedived 96 per cent."
    Interesting link;
    .....The monthly statistics show the number of nurses registering with the NMC peaked in July 2016 at 1,304
    So the month after we decided to leave the EU record numbers of nurses from the EU registered to work in the UK and they are still coming to work in the NHS.

Please try to get some better scare stories.