Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Time Online
    5 d 13 h 15 m

Annual farce of the new year hounours list

Is it just me or is the honours system a total farce and joke? Awards never seem to go to deserving people and when Nick Clegg gets a knighthood for totally betraying the principles of his party politics by joining a coalition government with the tories for his taste of power, voting to treble tuition fees, opposed this in his manifesto and then loses his party all those seats in 2015 and thankfully his seat in 2017 and now opposing the democratic vote of the British people in the EU referendum you realise it is a total joke.
    "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Thank you very much." Eric Cantona 1995

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    What we need is an alternative to the New Year's Honours list. Something like the New Year's Twat list. Clegg would certainly he high up on anyone's list of candidates.

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 59 m
    Luv2spankladies
    opposing the democratic vote of the British people in the EU referendum you realise it is a total joke.
    The majority of the electorate did not vote Leave. Many affected by the decision were denied the vote. In a ‘democracy’ you are allowed to oppose decisions made by others.

I agree the honour's system is a farce.

Time Online
    24 d 20 h 14 m
    I cannot disagree with your comments , who on earth nominated Clegg, maybe Jeremy Corbin. There is an application and a screening process however all awards are subjective. There are some , who undoubtably deserve their awards for selfless services to community, an attack on the hounours system might rightly or wrongly be seen as an attack on those decent citizens. I have personally known more selfless individuals with awards , than those I know who ruthlessly and selfishly bullied their way thorugh industry to receive such awards and I have known a few. Mind you maybe that is becuse I hang out with birds of a feater. Some have lost their awards when misdeeds were exposed however they are few and far between, once you have them, you dont lose them when you quit.

If you feel strongly about it, why not visit your local MP , find out about the system, find out who else might feel the same way (not a lot of response in here suggests to me people dont care , you might just be reaching the wrong people . Once yu have allies, go and protest to the local MP though it is likely he is looking to receive an award one day, so it might be like asking a turkey to vote for christmas. I googled it at gov uk and the opening lines are :

The honours system recognises people who have: made achievements in public life; committed themselves to serving and helping Britain. They'll usually have made life better for other people or be outstanding at what they do. They must still be actively involved in what you're nominating them for. You have to feel for the hard working dilligent liberals who will never recover the credibility legacy he left them.

Lets have a laugh : I suppose Corbin and Cameron might say Clegg did the public good as he reduced the choices in UK politics. Farrage and Salmond might say, he created a gap for them to fill..

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    Quote Originally Posted by mortinuk View Post
    The majority of the electorate did not vote Leave.
    You and your broken record ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Time Online
    120 d 7 h 40 m
    I agree in a way. But I think that Clegg whilst he sold out the students he acted as a barrier to the Tories. I think at the time had he not done that there would have been another election and Bojo and Co would have won big time and generously buggered everyone.

Not that that we would like that here.

QUOTE=Luv2spankladies;1255049]Is it just me or is the honours system a total farce and joke? Awards never seem to go to deserving people and when Nick Clegg gets a knighthood for totally betraying the principles of his party politics by joining a coalition government with the tories for his taste of power, voting to treble tuition fees, opposed this in his manifesto and then loses his party all those seats in 2015 and thankfully his seat in 2017 and now opposing the democratic vote of the British people in the EU referendum you realise it is a total joke.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Burgundy; 05-01-2018 at 20:47.

Time Online
    6 d 12 h 49 m
    The Swiftian method is the most tried and trusted. Those willing to dive from the greatest height into the deepest tub of excrement, are the ones who shall truly be exalted.
    You can't keep a good N.O.B down

Time Online
    120 d 7 h 40 m
    Excellent to hear from someone who likes to be tied down and buggered hard.

Time Online
    6 d 12 h 49 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post
    Excellent to hear from someone who likes to be tied down and buggered hard.
    You say the sweetest things for a silly bugger.xx

Time Online
    55 d 3 h 12 m
    I agree entirely .... what was that ?? Lol
    Lesley

Time Online
    120 d 7 h 40 m
    Don’t worry it’s just Father Jack waking up. He will be back to bed again Soon. Honestly NOB is just so cheeky. I can’t wait to suck it or take him vigorously up the arse with a big dildo whilst he sings out loud over and over again. Jeremy Corbyn is the Best. I love JC.

Time Online
    6 d 12 h 49 m
    You are a one!But all that expensive education = scribbling on a bog wall?

Time Online
    55 d 3 h 12 m
    A bit of graffityism, can't beat it,
    LESLEY

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    In castigating Clegg for his shameful betrayal of the country's young people no one should forget that the man widely credited with being the architect of tuition fees was the barking mad Labour wonk and former Lib Dem member Andrew Adonis. Now Lord Adonis but still barking mad.

How did such a buffoon get a job in government? No one will be surprised that he went to the right uni (and probably sucked the right cocks)

Time Online
    5 d 20 h 57 m
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAttitude View Post
    No one will be surprised that he went to the right uni (and probably sucked the right cocks)
    And your bitterness stems from the fact that you didn't?

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 59 m
    BadAttitude said:
    How did such a buffoon get a job in government? No one will be surprised that he went to the right uni
    You appear to think that Adonis comes from a privileged background. This is not the case

“Adonis's father, Nikos, emigrated from Cyprus as a teenager, becoming a waiter in London, where he met Adonis's English mother.[5]His mother left the family when he was three and she has had no communication with him since.[5] Shortly thereafter, Adonis and his sister were placed in care
    because their father was working long hours and was not able to cope with sole parental responsibilities. Adonis lived in a council children's home until the age of 11, when he was awarded a local education authority grant to attend Kingham Hill School, a boarding school in Oxfordshire.[

Adonis gained admittance to Keble College, Oxford, where he graduated with a First Class Bachelor of Arts degree in Modern History.[7]He continued his education at Oxford and subsequently gained a doctorate with a thesis on the British aristocracy of the late 19th century at Christ Church, before being appointed to a Fellowship in History and Politics at Nuffield College
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew...,_Baron_Adonis

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    You appear to think that Adonis comes from a privileged background. This is not the case
    I know full well Adonis's background. The fact that he comes from a 'humble stock' doesn't stop him from being barking mad and a buffoon. Idiots like Adonis should have no place in government whatsoever.

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Dick View Post
    And your bitterness stems from the fact that you didn't?
    My bitterness? I was fortunate to start work in the 1980s and people of my age have done all right out of Britain. Any anger I have is from seeing the debt the youth of this nation have run up educating themselves.

People like Adonis, Osborne, Blair, Cameron, Johnson, Clegg shouldn't be allowed with a million miles of government. Twats like them who slide into positions of power simply because of who they know or because of the schools and unis they went to have been mismanaging the country since before I was born.

The UK with it's natural resources and it's hard working people should be as wealthy as Germany. The fact is if you take into account personal debt we are struggling to be as wealthy as Italy.

We need to get rid of all the History graduates, all the PP&E graduates, the lawyers etc and have some practical people running the country. It can't be a coincidence that the last great PM we had was a science graduate.

Time Online
    10 d 3 h 59 m
    The last great Prime Minister this country had, and possibly the greatest, was a history graduate. I refer, off course, to Clem Attlee, the architect of the Welfare State.

Incidentally, rather than disparage people you disagree with as ‘idiot’ why not present a reasoned argument why you disagree with them and how you would do it better. Ideally, without the use of vulgar language

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    The last great Prime Minister this country had, and possibly the greatest, was a history graduate. I refer, off course, to Clem Attlee, the architect of the Welfare State.

Incidentally, rather than disparage people you disagree with as ‘idiot’ why not present a reasoned argument why you disagree with them and how you would do it better. Ideally, without the use of vulgar language
    I thought Beveridge was the architect of the cradle to grave welfare state. Just look at what that has done to whole swathes of the working class. Without the welfare state the able but poor would be demanding jobs not handouts.

Blog Entries
    Time Online
    5 d 18 h 59 m
    I do feel the Queen should be in charge of the honours system
    I know My Place

Its Over a ladys knee.

Time Online
    31 d 9 h 32 m
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbum View Post
    I do feel the Queen should be in charge of the honours system
    I thought she was in charge of it at least nominally, the same as she is supposed to be in charge of the Church and the Army.
    That doesn't mean I expect her to lead her troops into battle or read sermons at Westminster Abbey.
    I would expect her delegate that sort of thing to minions like General Officer Commanding and General Synod.
    Likewise I expect her to delegate the decision as to which overpaid "celebrities" and political cronies get a gong to the incumbent leader of "Her Majesty's" Government (which doesn't mean the Queen has to live at No. 10 and traipse the the lobbies on a 3-line whip).
    But in the the unlikely event that I were to get an MBE or a knighthood, I rather thought I would have to go to Buck House to curtsey or whatever.

Nobody loves a smartarse

Time Online
    5 d 20 h 57 m
    I know full well Adonis's background. The fact that he comes from a 'humble stock' doesn't stop him from being barking mad and a buffoon. Idiots like Adonis should have no place in government whatsoever.
    Big fan of Toby Young, then?

Time Online
    5 d 20 h 57 m
    His resignation letter was a stone cold masterpiece...odd that. Him being barking mad and a buffoon.

Dear prime minister,
    The hardest thing in politics is to bring about lasting change for the better, and I believe in co-operation across parties to achieve it.
    In this spirit I was glad to accept reappointment last year as chair of the independent National Infrastructure Commission, when you also reaffirmed your support for HS2, which will help overcome England’s north-south divide when it opens in just eight years time. I would like to thank you for your courtesy in our personal dealings.
    The Commission has done good work in the past 27 months, thanks to dedicated public servants and commissioners. Sir John Armitt, my deputy chair, and Phil Graham, chief executive, have been brilliant throughout. I am particularly proud of our plans for equipping the UK with world-class 4G and 5G mobile systems; for Crossrail 2 in London and HS3 to link the Northern cities; and for transformational housing growth in the Oxford-Milton Keynes-Cambridge corridor.
    I hope these plans are implemented without delay. However, my work at the Commission has become increasingly clouded by disagreement with the government, and after much consideration I am writing to resign because of fundamental differences which simply cannot be bridged.
    The European Union withdrawal bill is the worst legislation of my lifetime. It arrives soon in the House of Lords and I feel duty bound to oppose it relentlessly from the Labour benches.
    Brexit is a populist and nationalist spasm worthy of Donald Trump. After the narrow referendum vote, a form of associate membership of the EU might have been attempted without rupturing Britain’s key trading and political alliances. Instead, by allying with Ukip and the Tory hard right to wrench Britain out of the key economic and political institutions of modern Europe, you are pursuing a course fraught with danger.
    Even within Ireland, there are set to be barriers between people and trade. If Brexit happens, taking us back into Europe will become the mission of our children’s generation, who will marvel at your acts of destruction.
    A responsible government would be leading the British people to stay in Europe while also tackling, with massive vigour, the social and economic problems within Britain which contributed to the Brexit vote. Unfortunately, your policy is the reverse.
    The government is hurtling towards the EU’s emergency exit with no credible plan for the future of British trade and European co-operation, all the while ignoring – beyond soundbites and inadequate programmes – the crises of housing, education, the NHS, and social and regional inequality which are undermining the fabric of our nation and feeding a populist surge.
    What Britain needs in 2018 is a radically reforming government in the tradition of Attlee, working tirelessly to eradicate social problems while strengthening Britain’s international alliances. This is a cause I have long advocated, and acted upon in government, and I intend to pursue it with all the energy I can muster.
    Britain must be deeply engaged, responsible and consistent as a European power. When in times past we have isolated ourselves from the continent in the name of “empire” or “sovereignty”, we were soon sucked back in. This will inevitably happen again, given our power, trade, democratic values and sheer geography. Putin and the rise of authoritarian nationalism in Poland and Hungry are flashing red lights. As Edmund Burke so wisely wrote, “People will not look forwards to posterity who do not look backwards to their ancestors.”
    However, I would have been obliged to resign from the Commission at this point anyway because of the transport secretary’s indefensible decision to bail out the Stagecoach/Virgin East Coast rail franchise. The bailout will cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of pounds, possibly billions if other loss-making rail companies demand equal treatment. It benefits only the billionaire owners of these companies and their shareholders, while pushing rail fares still higher and threatening national infrastructure investment. It is even more inexcusable given the Brexit squeeze on public spending.
    The only rationale I can discern for the bailout is as a cynical political manoeuvre by Chris Grayling, a hard right Brexiteer, to avoid following my 2009 precedent when National Express defaulted on its obligations to the state for the same East Coast franchise because it too had overbid for the contract. I set up a successful public operator to take over East Coast services and banned National Express from bidding for new contracts. The same should have been done in this case. Yet, astonishingly, Stagecoach has not only been bailed out: it remains on the shortlist for the next three rail franchises.
    The East Coast affair will inevitably come under close scrutiny by the National Audit Office and the Public Accounts Committee, and I need to be free to set out serious public interest concerns. I hope the PAC calls Sir Richard Branson and Sir Brian Souter to give evidence. I am ready to share troubling evidence with the PAC and other parliamentary committees investigating the bailout.
    As you know, I raised these concerns with the chancellor and the transport secretary as soon as the bailout became apparent from the small print of an odd policy statement on 29 November majoring on reversing Beeching rail closures of the 1960s. I received no response from either Minister beyond inappropriate requests to desist.
    Brexit is causing a nervous breakdown across Whitehall and conduct unworthy of Her Majesty’s government. I am told, by those of longer experience, that it resembles Suez and the bitter industrial strife of the 1970s, both of which endangered not only national integrity but the authority of the state itself.
    You occupy one of the most powerful offices in the history of the world, the heir of Churchill, Attlee and Gladstone. Whatever our differences, I wish you well in guiding our national destiny at this critical time.
    Yours sincerely,
    Andrew Adonis

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    His resignation letter was a stone cold masterpiece...odd that. Him being barking mad and a buffoon.
    As much of a masterpiece as his tuition fee idea?

This idiot has consigned a whole generation of young people to massive debt before they've even started work.

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    Big fan of Toby Young, then?
    A PPE graduate and journalist. You can add Toby Young to the list of wankers who went to the right uni and who should never be let within a thousand miles of the levers of power.

Time Online
    3 d 8 h 33 m
    Ho, ho, the good old honours list, always creates a stir. I'm actually quite glad Ringo Starr was knighted as his services to the beverages industry has been well known since the sixties.
    Of interest, if Marc Almond is now an OBE, then why not Phil Oakey? He helped create the synth pop sound in Britain with the Human League in its early, uncommercial form and then made the group into the huge success it was in the eighties and tours tirelessly with his two female bandmates and isn't exactly the most rock and roll of people, still choosing to live in Sheffield and leading a quiet life.

Time Online
    10 d 10 h 46 m
    Quote Originally Posted by A Cumbrian View Post
    Ho, ho, the good old honours list, always creates a stir. I'm actually quite glad Ringo Starr was knighted.
    Me too, but for the pleasure he and his band-mates have given to music lovers around the world, for his part in generating the millions of pounds they have earned for the UK economy over the last half-century and more, and for his charitable works. Oh, and for being the voice of Thomas the Tank Engine. (But I do wish he'd give up ending his tweets and Facebook messages with 'Peace'). Arise Sir Richard Starkey
    What is this world if full of care we have no time to spank a rear.

Time Online
    53 d 19 h 49 m
    People tend to forget Clegg was the minority partner in a coalition, so had to make concessions in order to get concessions from the majority partner.
    At my fingertips I have a device that can access all the knowledge that mankind has amassed over the millennia.
    I use it to look at pictures of bottoms and have pointless arguments with complete strangers

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapist View Post
    People tend to forget Clegg was the minority partner in a coalition, so had to make concessions in order to get concessions from the majority partner.
    Clegg didn't have to join a coalition with the Tories he chose to.

Time Online
    5 d 20 h 57 m
    Just to say life's too short...have put BA on my ignore list.
    How am I liking it?
    It's pretty good...everyone should give it a go...

Time Online
    120 d 7 h 40 m
    I agree the althernative would have been worse.

But like Blair though. Ten years of a decent well meaning government or Michael Howard. We made the right choice back then. We need to win next time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Therapist View Post

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    How am I liking it?
    I love it when a troll gives up.

Time Online
    5 d 20 h 57 m
    "This message is hidden because BadAttitude is on your ignore list".
    Loving it.

Time Online
    9 d 16 h 38 m
    "This message is hidden because BadAttitude is on your ignore list".
    Loving it.
    Keep telling yourself that.

Time Online
    115 d 13 h 34 m
    How am I liking it?
    Hmm, not really sure I see the point of that.

If I want to ignore someone's messages, I'll just ignore them. I don't need the site to do it on my behalf.
    --------------------
    Lurk and let lurk
    --------------------

Time Online
    120 d 7 h 40 m
    That’s fine but it does help take the heat off when you just otherwise have a bigot nashing away. It allows me to see the more decent comments and enjoy them and not get so pissed off.

Jjd. This year let’s focus on getting a decent Labour Party ready to take over next time. My New Years main resolution.

Time Online
    5 d 20 h 57 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post
    That’s fine but it does help take the heat off when you just otherwise have a bigot nashing away. It allows me to see the more decent comments and enjoy them and not get so pissed off.

Jjd. This year let’s focus on getting a decent Labour Party ready to take over next time. My New Years main resolution.
    I'm good with that.
    A glass tipped to you and best wishes for the New Year.
    I see Farage and Banks are saying they want a further referendum now. You couldn't make it up.

Time Online
    11 d 8 h 51 m
    I see Farage and Banks are saying they want a further referendum now. You couldn't make it up.
    JJ - If you had approached the TV production companies with a script like that they would have laughed you out the door. I have no time for all that 'Honours' stuff I find the whole thing anachronistic (not to mention rigged) as is an unelected House of Lords and the whole concept of monarchy. They say that the monarchy brings in the tourists, but the French beheaded theirs and they still get tourists. I don't propose anything that radical but perhaps a sort of 'Ex Monarchy Theme Park' would work.
    Alice

Time Online
    53 d 19 h 49 m
    Quote Originally Posted by alice-in-oz View Post
    JJ - If you had approached the TV production companies with a script like that they would have laughed you out the door. I have no time for all that 'Honours' stuff I find the whole thing anachronistic (not to mention rigged) as is an unelected House of Lords and the whole concept of monarchy. They say that the monarchy brings in the tourists, but the French beheaded theirs and they still get tourists. I don't propose anything that radical but perhaps a sort of 'Ex Monarchy Theme Park' would work.
    Yes, I like Dennis Skinners suggestion. If they bring in foreign tourists we should capitalise on it. Put them in the millennium dome, give them a zone apiece, and charge all the foreign tourists to go in and look at them
    At my fingertips I have a device that can access all the knowledge that mankind has amassed over the millennia.
    I use it to look at pictures of bottoms and have pointless arguments with complete strangers