Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 93
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Clacton-0n-Sea
    Posts
    914
    Time Online
    11 d 12 h N/A

    Let's talk about Brexit - and get back on topic!!



    Who - if anyone - would still like to continue discussing BREXIT (which was the original topic of the thread started by KPTN on 7th Feb).
    After a good initial exchange of views, that thread, it seems to me, soon drifted WAY OFF topic ... becoming something of a 'slanging match' exchange about who said what, how intelligent or otherwise folks are - and now it has become a discussion about classism.
    I'm not surprised that the mods decided to move it to the TRASH section!!

    This may have put off some genuine contributors, with views to express that are ON topic, from posting further?
    If so, why don't we simply continue to debate this important constitutional issue right here - on THIS thread, and in its proper place (on CHATTER) - and try to stay ON TOPIC?

    Any takers??
    "You only live twice - or so it seems: one life for yourself - and one for your dreams".

    'Be kind to the people you meet on the way up ... 'cos you meet the same people on the way down again'. (Exact source unknown - but gen. attributed to a number of 'wily old celebrities' in the world of entertainment).



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,587
    Time Online
    13 d 3 h 36 m
    Over a number of threads most posters have made their views about Brexit abundantly clear. I can think of nothing I care to add to the views I have previously expressed. What is inevitable is that like almost every other thread on the subject, it will degenerate into foul language and abuse. I don't care to revisit the vile posts of some who use the threads as a soapbox for personal attacks on those they disagree with. Levels of education have been called into question as well as other personal aspects of individuals views on the basis of no more than dislike of the poster they disagree with. The use of the most disgusting (to women & most men) language is thrown about with no thought for its effect on other members, potential members or the targets of such language. I admire your desire to discuss Brexit rationally and some will, but I can assure you that the usual suspects will not and this thread will also wind up in trash. Good luck, sincerely, but I will take no further part in the Brexit debate if that is all we can look forward to.
    Alice

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    5,143
    Time Online
    25 d 15 h 54 m
    Couldn't have put it better, myself, Alice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    137
    Time Online
    7 d 3 h 58 m
    Yes, the problem is many people have deeply entrenched views on the matter. No excuse for being uncivil of course.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Clacton-0n-Sea
    Posts
    914
    Time Online
    11 d 12 h N/A
    Entrenched views - about most things in fact - are not good. Informed views are much better.
    "You only live twice - or so it seems: one life for yourself - and one for your dreams".

    'Be kind to the people you meet on the way up ... 'cos you meet the same people on the way down again'. (Exact source unknown - but gen. attributed to a number of 'wily old celebrities' in the world of entertainment).



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Time Online
    7 d 8 h 46 m
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemagic View Post

    Who - if anyone - would still like to continue discussing BREXIT (which was the original topic of the thread started by KPTN on 7th Feb).
    After a good initial exchange of views, that thread, it seems to me, soon drifted WAY OFF topic ... becoming something of a 'slanging match' exchange about who said what, how intelligent or otherwise folks are - and now it has become a discussion about classism.
    I'm not surprised that the mods decided to move it to the TRASH section!!
    Gosh, I'm sorry for bringing politics into a discussion on polit... oh wait, hang on... no. Every serious academic in the field of politics recognizes the continuing class divide in Britain and the majority of them will cede that the divide likely had an effect in the Brexit vote. Shortly after the vote, our media was rife with accusations of those voting to leave as being 'less educated' than remainers (also noted by academics in the field of politics). If the vote actually matters to you, then I'm surprised to hear that an understanding of the voters doesn't, and your insistence that it shouldn't be raised as an issue because it isn't 'on-topic' is frankly disturbing.

    I doubt it was moved to the trash because it drifted off topic as you say, for two reasons, firstly because as I've outlined above, I don't think it did and secondly, because if that was the basis for the decision then I'm surprised more of our threads don't end up there because an awful lot of them eventually float off topic.

    Many of our threads are contentious, and political discussion always should be; there is nothing more asinine as a political discussion without disagreement.

    You know why I think it was moved to the trash? I suspect the Admins basically have had enough about us banging on about Brexit on a spanking site... isn't this now the fourth thread on the topic that we've had?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemagic View Post
    This may have put off some genuine contributors, with views to express that are ON topic, from posting further?
    If so, why don't we simply continue to debate this important constitutional issue right here - on THIS thread, and in its proper place (on CHATTER) - and try to stay ON TOPIC?

    Any takers??
    Sure can, If you want a second referendum, then do you agree that it was incumbent upon you to exercise your vote for the one party that offered it to you in the last election?


    Quote Originally Posted by bluemagic View Post
    Entrenched views - about most things in fact - are not good. Informed views are much better.
    You've already argued that class and education have nothing to do with Brexit which is against the prevailing view of serious academics of the field and also our wider media... Given this, if you are so well informed, would you mind telling me where you get your opinions from?





    Clovis.
    Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people. - H.H Munro.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Clacton-0n-Sea
    Posts
    914
    Time Online
    11 d 12 h N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Sure can, If you want a second referendum, then do you agree that it was incumbent upon you to exercise your vote for the one party that offered it to you in the last election?
    I did!




    You've already argued that class and education have nothing to do with Brexit
    I haven't. You haven't actually read my posts on the original thread, have you? Nowhere did I write that class and education have 'nothing to do with Brexit'. But if you want to diiscuss those issues, then you should have started a thread about them, surely? Why don't you do that?

    Myself, I am much more interested to hear what members think about Britain's possible future - if we really do leave. We may have had threads about Brexit before, but that does not mean the debate is closed. And, as I have said, national opinion polls seem to suggest that views are changing - as more and more information becomes available ... as well as further news becomes available as to how well- or otherwise - the negotiations for this are going; and what will be the likely terms of our leaving, what KIND of exit - and etcetera. If it is even permissible to 'talk about the weather' here in this section, and to start a thread on that - then why would the mods be justified in trying to discourage any further (fresh and new) debates - about the most important single constitutional issue that this entire country has faced in over forty years?
    "You only live twice - or so it seems: one life for yourself - and one for your dreams".

    'Be kind to the people you meet on the way up ... 'cos you meet the same people on the way down again'. (Exact source unknown - but gen. attributed to a number of 'wily old celebrities' in the world of entertainment).



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    5,143
    Time Online
    25 d 15 h 54 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post

    I doubt it was moved to the trash because it drifted off topic as you say, for two reasons, firstly because as I've outlined above, I don't think it did and secondly, because if that was the basis for the decision then I'm surprised more of our threads don't end up there because an awful lot of them eventually float off topic.

    Many of our threads are contentious, and political discussion always should be; there is nothing more asinine as a political discussion without disagreement.

    You know why I think it was moved to the trash? I suspect the Admins basically have had enough about us banging on about Brexit on a spanking site... isn't this now the fourth thread on the topic that we've had?
    Clovis.
    I think it more likely it was moved because of the extremely bad language used by at least one of those posting. I don't approve of censorship, by the way, but neither do I approve of an extremely profane word being shoved into someone's face as an insulting epithet, either on here or on the street.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Time Online
    7 d 8 h 46 m
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemagic View Post
    I did!
    You know it's simply astonishing to me how many people voted for the Liberals whenever I raise that question in this context. I'm not doubting anyone's sincerity or honesty here and I completely accept the possibility that we spanko's really do queer the statistics when it comes to actual voting preferences, indeed, there's no reason why we shouldn't when we most certainly would queer statistics elsewhere.

    What I am doing though is placing a spotlight on the idea that Brexit is of such Earth shattering importance to the electorate. After all, if the polls insist that so many people have changed their minds on it in favour of Remain and the issue is of such singular import (as you go on to insist), then how is it that the Liberals aren't in power?

    Perhaps... just perhaps the issue isn't as important to people as it is to us apparently highly politically attuned spanko's? Perhaps the polls, as they mostly were before the vote, are somehow, in some way... wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemagic View Post
    I haven't. You haven't actually read my posts on the original thread, have you? Nowhere did I write that class and education have 'nothing to do with Brexit'. But if you want to diiscuss those issues, then you should have started a thread about them, surely? Why don't you do that?
    You started this thread with the argument that a discussion of class in regards to Brexit was somehow a part of it drifting off topic, and one of the reasons the last thread was moved to the trash. You now admit that it is actually relevant... Well, okay, I guess that's a good sign, it shows that you are capable of learning.

    This thread is titled 'Let's talk about Brexit - and get back on topic', and you now admit that the issue I raised was on topic, so I don't see the problem with me engaging in this thread, or indeed any other.

    If you insist that any debate on something should only happen if discussed within your chosen framework then you seek to limit the discourse to a given space, now that happens in debate all the time and good boundaries can make for a solid debating space... but if; as soon as people engage you within that framework in honest interaction that doesn't match your expectations; you then seek to shut it down with the insistence that the framework you yourself outlined should suddenly be changed to something else then you don't want a discussion, you want a hug...

    Oh alright then... C'mere BlueMagic, let me give you a hug.





    Clovis.
    Last edited by Clovis; 13-02-2018 at 16:28.
    Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people. - H.H Munro.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Avon
    Posts
    210
    Time Online
    5 d 6 h 29 m
    My impression is that on the great political issues of the day the uneducated ("have nots") have generally been right and the liberal elite (as a whole quite conservative and privileged) have generally been wrong. I am thinking in particular of the various great (and lesser) reform Acts of the 19th and 20th century. That impression makes me think quite hard about the referendum result.
    I am happy to have my impression corrected if it is fallacious.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Clacton-0n-Sea
    Posts
    914
    Time Online
    11 d 12 h N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by KPTN View Post
    I think it more likely it was moved because of the extremely bad language used by at least one of those posting. I don't approve of censorship, by the way, but neither do I approve of an extremely profane word being shoved into someone's face as an insulting epithet, either on here or on the street.
    I thought the rules forbade that, the post in question liable to be deleted and the poster warned - and, if persisting, could be banned.
    "You only live twice - or so it seems: one life for yourself - and one for your dreams".

    'Be kind to the people you meet on the way up ... 'cos you meet the same people on the way down again'. (Exact source unknown - but gen. attributed to a number of 'wily old celebrities' in the world of entertainment).



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Clacton-0n-Sea
    Posts
    914
    Time Online
    11 d 12 h N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisterW View Post
    My impression is that on the great political issues of the day the uneducated ("have nots") have generally been right and the liberal elite (as a whole quite conservative and privileged) have generally been wrong. I am thinking in particular of the various great (and lesser) reform Acts of the 19th and 20th century. That impression makes me think quite hard about the referendum result.
    I am happy to have my impression corrected if it is fallacious.
    From where do you get your history on this, MagisterW? Would you care to be more specific?
    "You only live twice - or so it seems: one life for yourself - and one for your dreams".

    'Be kind to the people you meet on the way up ... 'cos you meet the same people on the way down again'. (Exact source unknown - but gen. attributed to a number of 'wily old celebrities' in the world of entertainment).



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    805
    Time Online
    10 d 9 h 16 m
    Quote Originally Posted by KPTN View Post
    I think it more likely it was moved because of the extremely bad language used by at least one of those posting. I don't approve of censorship, by the way, but neither do I approve of an extremely profane word being shoved into someone's face as an insulting epithet, either on here or on the street.
    From the messages I get everyone already knows the so called Oxford educated laughable lawyer Burgundy is a cunt so I have no need to repeat it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    805
    Time Online
    10 d 9 h 16 m
    Surely the people who self-identify as middle class are just working class people (people who need to work to put a roof over their head and food on their table) who consider themselves to be in some way better than some other working class people. Maybe they feel their education sets them apart. Maybe it's the salary they earn or maybe it's because they don't work with their hands. Shouldn't these middle class wannabes be called something else such as upper working class?

    I'd be interested to know what a some self-identifying middle class people believe it is that sets them so apart from working class people.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    3,434
    Time Online
    63 d 7 h 38 m
    A few years ago there was a lot of interest in a new social model which split the country up into seven classes rather than three.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...h_Class_Survey

    Along with many other people I took the online test, which asked you things like whether you listened to rap music, had a scientist in your social circle and were fond of pizza. Some of the questions weren't so easy to answer, and depending upon how I answered them I think I veered from being "Technical Middle Class" to "Traditional Working Class" (which surprised my parents). I'd probably get a different answer now, having neither visited the opera in the last 12 months nor set foot in a gym.

    Despite the vagaries of the online test, I thought it was an interesting bit of research - the three class system has probably moved on a bit since the days of Cleese, Barker and Corbett.



    -R
    Why not surprise your wife or girlfriend with a good spanking this Valentines Day?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    4,753
    Time Online
    10 d 6 h 34 m
    I think the seven classes that you refer to are here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/21970879
    A more detailed explanation at
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/...38038513481128

    Fundamentally, there are only two classes The class you are in is determined by your relationship to the means of production, that is, the means of creating wealth. The owners of the means of production are called are called the bourgeoisie and the non-owners are termed the proletariat. Simple really!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    805
    Time Online
    10 d 9 h 16 m
    Quote Originally Posted by mortinuk View Post
    Fundamentally, there are only two classes The class you are in is determined by your relationship to the means of production, that is, the means of creating wealth. The owners of the means of production are called are called the bourgeoisie and the non-owners are termed the proletariat. Simple really!
    I agree and I think the reason some of the proletariat chose to call themselves middle class is to separate themselves from the lumpenproletariat.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Time Online
    7 d 8 h 46 m
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAttitude View Post
    I'd be interested to know what a some self-identifying middle class people believe it is that sets them so apart from working class people.
    Analysis of the British social class system is to my mind best understood by basing it on the premiss of access to resources, rather than production. If you want to know the difference between the classes and where people fall in that regard, I would argue you should think more along those lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadAttitude View Post
    I agree and I think the reason some of the proletariat chose to call themselves middle class is to separate themselves from the lumpenproletariat.
    As I recall classical Marxism makes reference to four classes, bourgeosie, petite-bourgeosie, proletariat and lumpenproletariat.

    I'm not entirely sure how you think the proletariat can try to mimic the middle classes given they occupy distinctly different positions in what I would have thought was quite different political theory? But I'd be jolly happy to hear you out if you would care to explain it.



    Clovis.
    Last edited by Clovis; 13-02-2018 at 23:45.
    Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people. - H.H Munro.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,587
    Time Online
    13 d 3 h 36 m
    Quote Originally Posted by alice-in-oz View Post
    What is inevitable is that like almost every other thread on the subject, it will degenerate into foul language and abuse.
    It only took 11 more posts for what I predicted to happen at post #13. I hope this thread is consigned to trash as well. I can't help but wonder why posters choose to engage with someone who posts so offensively.
    Alice

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Clacton-0n-Sea
    Posts
    914
    Time Online
    11 d 12 h N/A
    What do folks make of Boris Johnson's 'valentine day' message to those who want to remain in the EU?

    https://uk.news.yahoo/boris-johnson-...083006489.html [Ross Mc.Guiness yahoo news UK 14 Feb 2018]
    "You only live twice - or so it seems: one life for yourself - and one for your dreams".

    'Be kind to the people you meet on the way up ... 'cos you meet the same people on the way down again'. (Exact source unknown - but gen. attributed to a number of 'wily old celebrities' in the world of entertainment).



  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Time Online
    7 d 8 h 46 m
    Quote Originally Posted by alice-in-oz View Post
    I hope this thread is consigned to trash as well. I can't help but wonder why posters choose to engage with someone who posts so offensively.
    Because no-one else determines who they engage with by how offensive you claim to find their words?

    Nor should they frankly, Burgundy has posted some truly ugly posts on the forum, that doesn't matter to me, I still love him dearly and he is still my friend, and while I wouldn't advance that same distinction to BA, it doesn't matter. I will engage with anyone in equal faith and on equal terms dependent on their responses to me. If you don't want to engage with someone, then don't; no-one is forcing you. You do you and all that.




    Clovis.
    Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people. - H.H Munro.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    4,753
    Time Online
    10 d 6 h 34 m
    I find it difficult to take anything this serial liar has to say. Quite how his antics have endeared him to a significant part of the population is beyond me. It’s difficult to accord credence to a 53 year old man that dyes his hair. For me, Johnson, Cameron and their ilk are part of the reason why this country has been in long term economic decline since the last quarter of the nineteenth century. Namely the fact that people born with silver spoons in their mouths achieve influence and power beyond their abilities.

    The more I read about the consequences of Brexit the more apparent it becomes that it is an egregious mistake. Leaving will divide this country for a generation. There appears to be little positive that is said beyond the groundless optimism that things will be better as the UK signs trade deals with other countries to mitigate the effects of leaving. In reality, the UK will become less influential and less powerful and will negotiate from a disadvantaged and weak position. The only real hope is that politicians do ‘take power’ through parliamentary sovereignty and have another referendum on the terms of our leaving.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    4,753
    Time Online
    10 d 6 h 34 m
    I'm with Alice on the use of language. There is no need for such language in speech and even less in writing. I don't like to to associate with people who swear habitually. That doesn't mean I never swear. The fact that someone does on this site when informed on a number of occasions that people object is detrimental to their reputation

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Clacton-0n-Sea
    Posts
    914
    Time Online
    11 d 12 h N/A
    Yet this evidently loathsome individual is part of a back-room conspiracy, it seems. to boot out May (who is clearly on borrowed time anyway) and stage an internal Party coup to replace her - with the likes of Johnson (and a few of his political cronies) who seem to want an extremely 'hard Bexit'. As controversial quiz show hostess Anne Robinson would have no doubt so aptly put it:
    'You leave with nothing'
    "You only live twice - or so it seems: one life for yourself - and one for your dreams".

    'Be kind to the people you meet on the way up ... 'cos you meet the same people on the way down again'. (Exact source unknown - but gen. attributed to a number of 'wily old celebrities' in the world of entertainment).



  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The internet
    Posts
    2,546
    Time Online
    125 d 5 h 52 m
    Thanks Clovis

    i have been sworn at in the most aggressive way by some quite serious people over the years so this is water off a ducks back to me. I appreciate though that I should have controlled my own disgust at certain behaviour patterns for the benefit of other members on the forum who find the swearing at me upsetting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Because no-one else determines who they engage with by how offensive you claim to find their words?

    Nor should they frankly, Burgundy has posted some truly ugly posts on the forum, that doesn't matter to me, I still love him dearly and he is still my friend, and while I wouldn't advance that same distinction to BA, it doesn't matter. I will engage with anyone in equal faith and on equal terms dependent on their responses to me. If you don't want to engage with someone, then don't; no-one is forcing you. You do you and all that.




    Clovis.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The internet
    Posts
    2,546
    Time Online
    125 d 5 h 52 m
    I can’t on an iPhone work out how to put a photo up but there is a very funny cartoon in the Evening Standard today. Essentially saying Bojo is only looking after number one.

    I disnt so so much see this as an olive branch to the remain side but almost a threat. No changing minds no second referendum against the “will of the people”

    I watched it on on the phone mainly and can see why people are saying it’s just a campaign speech with no content.

    Its getting quite close now set now and I would prefer a spreadsheet guru like Hammond or similar putting up slides with detailed examples of our proposals and how they would work and be implemented.

    I miust have been concentrating on a work email but did he did he really make a joke about stag parties in Thailand? I just don’t think he has the gravitas for the top job.

    QUOTE=bluemagic;1258778]Yet this evidently loathsome individual is part of a back-room conspiracy, it seems. to boot out May (who is clearly on borrowed time anyway) and stage an internal Party coup to replace her - with the likes of Johnson (and a few of his political cronies) who seem to want an extremely 'hard Bexit'. As controversial quiz show hostess Anne Robinson would have no doubt so aptly put it:
    'You leave with nothing'[/QUOTE]

  27. #27
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Time Online
    7 d 8 h 46 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post
    Thanks Clovis

    i have been sworn at in the most aggressive way by some quite serious people over the years so this is water off a ducks back to me. I appreciate though that I should have controlled my own disgust at certain behaviour patterns for the benefit of other members on the forum who find the swearing at me upsetting.

    You aren't responsible for BA's posts. You are however wholly responsible for your own, if you are happy with how you respond to him then all power to you. A lot of people find me odious for the way I engage with them, I don't really care but I do at least attempt a modicum of civility because about that, I do care.



    Clovis.
    Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people. - H.H Munro.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The internet
    Posts
    2,546
    Time Online
    125 d 5 h 52 m
    I will seek to maintain a modicum if civility then sweetie. Honest.

    QUOTE=Clovis;1258791]You aren't responsible for BA's posts. You are however wholly responsible for your own, if you are happy with how you respond to him then all power to you. A lot of people find me odious for the way I engage with them, I don't really care but I do at least attempt a modicum of civility because about that, I do care.



    Clovis.[/QUOTE]

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    4,753
    Time Online
    10 d 6 h 34 m
    Burgundy said:
    did he did he really make a joke about stag parties in Thailand?
    He recited a Kipling poem in a pagoda in Myanmar

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...myanmar-temple

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The internet
    Posts
    2,546
    Time Online
    125 d 5 h 52 m
    Thanks yes I saw that.

    I wonder to what degree its done on purpose though. Being a bad boy has got Trump to where he is. Some people secretly admire it.

    QUOTE=mortinuk;1258794]Burgundy said:


    He recited a Kipling poem in a pagoda in Myanmar

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...myanmar-temple[/QUOTE]

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    4,753
    Time Online
    10 d 6 h 34 m
    Clovis said:
    A lot of people find me odious for the way I engage with them
    I doubt that as most people probably won’t understand your comments given the level of your pomposity and verbosity. You disguise your attempst at civility well.
    u

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    286
    Time Online
    7 d 8 h 46 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post
    I will seek to maintain a modicum if civility then sweetie. Honest.
    I think that's up to you darling but I can't say I'm not pleased to hear it; I am fond of you, and your posting in the past has often given me pause to think about my own arguments, and that I respect greatly.


    Quote Originally Posted by mortinuk View Post
    I doubt that as most people probably won’t understand your comments given the level of your pomposity and verbosity. You disguise your attempst at civility well.
    Deciding for yourself that other people are too stupid to understand something is a rather obnoxious act old man. It may give you a feeling of superiority, but that feeling is a false one, no doubt enacted to puff up your own ego.



    Clovis.
    Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people. - H.H Munro.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    4,753
    Time Online
    10 d 6 h 34 m
    Clovis said:

    ???

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In my lady's arms, somewhere south of London.
    Posts
    14,304
    Blog Entries
    8
    Time Online
    78 d 18 h 55 m
    Boris Johnson has told lies throughout his public life. There was no reason to expect anything different today.

    I would judge him to be nothing but a dim buffoon, if it weren't for the fact that so many intelligent people seem to admire his intelligence. If they are right, then he is an arch-manipulator. He can't even be excused for being mistaken, because his manner disguises a machiavellian of the highest order.
    Democracy is for life; not just for a single referendum!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The internet
    Posts
    2,546
    Time Online
    125 d 5 h 52 m
    I think the issue is that compare him to me and I suspect you and several other like minded people on here and the difference is that his emotional set up is to win at all costs.

    The rest of us have that thing inthe back of our minds that says -hang on that’s not true you can’t say that. I have as a lawyer pulled up people on the other side of transactions often to tell them they seem not to be understanding what I am saying to them. Partly that has been to avoid issues later but in the end I wake up at night if I think something dodgy is going on

    for the likes of BOjo or a trump or some of the really appalling businessmen I have met that sort of worry doesn’t feature. They don’t have that little voice in the back of their mind saying -hang on. That’s not
    true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Boris Johnson has told lies throughout his public life. There was no reason to expect anything different today.

    I would judge him to be nothing but a dim buffoon, if it weren't for the fact that so many intelligent people seem to admire his intelligence. If they are right, then he is an arch-manipulator. He can't even be excused for being mistaken, because his manner disguises a machiavellian of the highest order.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In my lady's arms, somewhere south of London.
    Posts
    14,304
    Blog Entries
    8
    Time Online
    78 d 18 h 55 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy View Post
    I think the issue is that compare him to me and I suspect you and several other like minded people on here and the difference is that his emotional set up is to win at all costs.

    The rest of us have that thing inthe back of our minds that says -hang on thatís not true you canít say that. I have as a lawyer pulled up people on the other side of transactions often to tell them they seem not to be understanding what I am saying to them. Partly that has been to avoid issues later but in the end I wake up at night if I think something dodgy is going on

    for the likes of BOjo or a trump or some of the really appalling businessmen I have met that sort of worry doesnít feature. They donít have that little voice in the back of their mind saying -hang on. Thatís not
    true.
    I think that's generally thought to be at the psychopathy/sociopathy/narcissism end of the personality scale!
    Democracy is for life; not just for a single referendum!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    4,753
    Time Online
    10 d 6 h 34 m
    Johnson has had a pernicious influence on British politics. He was responsible for a stream of untrue stories that discredited the EU. In particular, the myth of the bendy banana.

    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/united...dybananas.html

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Clacton-0n-Sea
    Posts
    914
    Time Online
    11 d 12 h N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by mortinuk View Post
    Johnson has had a pernicious influence on British politics. He was responsible for a stream of untrue stories that discredited the EU. In particular, the myth of the bendy banana.
    What are you talking about mortinuk - he IS a 'bendy banana'!!
    "You only live twice - or so it seems: one life for yourself - and one for your dreams".

    'Be kind to the people you meet on the way up ... 'cos you meet the same people on the way down again'. (Exact source unknown - but gen. attributed to a number of 'wily old celebrities' in the world of entertainment).



  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    805
    Time Online
    10 d 9 h 16 m
    Quote Originally Posted by alice-in-oz View Post
    It only took 11 more posts for what I predicted to happen at post #13. I hope this thread is consigned to trash as well. I can't help but wonder why posters choose to engage with someone who posts so offensively.
    I predicted at post #3 some half-wit would come along shouting racist. He always does.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    805
    Time Online
    10 d 9 h 16 m
    I find the idea that anyone would take Boris Johnson seriously hilarious. The man is a complete buffoon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 
 
 
[Output: 259.74 Kb. compressed to 250.95 Kb. by saving 8.79 Kb. (3.38%)]